Truck progress photos

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Truck progress photos

Post by KimVanOrder »

:mrgreen: Nuf said? :mrgreen:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Looks GREAT Jeff!
------------
Dave
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

it was my understanding that the support bracket came through the mid cross member to mate up to the back of the warford. this is how my intermediate shaft is or was, i took it out. is the warford different. just want to get it right the first time. also, what type of rope seal do you speak of? is this to keep the gear oil in the case and the grease in the clamshell? hope all is well. kevin
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hey Kevin, do you mean the support bracket at the rear of the warford? It bolts to the front of the cross member with the same bolts that hold the clamshell in place , then the gear shaped piece slides into it from the front. Not sure if that was what you were referring to? Yes, I think the rope seal, or in my case O ring, just stops the grease from coming out through the joint.

Jeff
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - Part AA-4808 is the coupling shaft rear support. This part is shown in the attached along with the inner and outer u-joint housings. The support was originally installed on the back side of frame cross member #3. All bolts were inserted from the front side of frame cross member #3.

AA-4808 was for AA's with the three-speed transmission and was the support for the coupling shaft, dual high, or Warford. To install/remove any of these, the rear axle must be moved back to allow the drive shaft to slid out of the u-joint.
Attachments
AA-4808 Coupling Shaft Rear Support 28-29 2.jpg
AA-4808 Coupling Shaft Rear Support 28-29 2.jpg (533.06 KiB) Viewed 13453 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by birdacre »

that's what i thought neal. i have seen warford installs with the support not put in this way. any thoughts jeff ? this might be the quarter inch some folks have said they needed to fit it all together, although you did with not trouble it appears. is the rope seal or the o ring in your case inside the coupler that you machined? i also remember someone talking about not forgetting a "thrust washer" when installing a warford. not sure where or what they meant? any ideas from anyone?
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

I guess I was lucky that mine fitted in OK. All the pictures I had seen showed these on the front of the crossmember - didn't occur to me it could even fit from the rear!. Yes, the O ring is inside the AA4808 coupling between that and the new end piece I machined for the warford housing.

Jeff
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i am having trouble thinking where the rope seal or o ring is. i have the coupler and my warford with the toothed connector bolted to the back of the warford. should i be able to see the rope seal or do i have to unbolt the toothed connector from the back of the warford. i am ready to put it in and don't want to assume i have nothing to "add" ie, the seal. hope i don't confuse you, kevin
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Kevin,

if you look back on this thread, there is a pic of the toothed connector that bolts to the end of the warford (would have been part of the original Warford . The O ring is fitted in this pic so you can see where it is. I would think that after it is all fitted together, you could push the rope into the gap between the male and female castings and hammer it home to pack it in tight.

Jeff
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

now i see it. just have to locate a rope seal. thank you for your help. your truck looks great.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

Here's what I used, I got it through grainger, I ordered the least expensive flax and it worked great. I don't see where it actually seals anything but it sure tightens up the fit between the gear box and the rear mount (at least it did on mine). I installed mine without this rope seal and it kind of rattled around and wanted to torque clock wise/ counter clock wise when shifting from forward to reverse without the "seal", (could be some excessive clearance between the spline).
I also installed the rear support through the back of the crossmember, I believe it locates on the shoulder of the support and not the bolts, plus it's the only way you can remove a Warford from the rear without having to remove the engine and trans.
Attachments
2048 packing.jpg
2048 packing.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 13418 times
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for the info. are there any other seals that i should check before install. i purchased warford ready to bolt in. very clean inside, honest guy sold it to me. just want to be sure other than the obvious gaskets that there are no other seals in the "snoats" on each end of the unit.
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

To my knowledge there are no other "seals" in the Warford, I had an issue with gear oil "leaking" out the front end so I installed a modern seal on the input shaft and so far, knock wood, it is no longer leaking.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6168&p=35843&hilit= ... eal#p35843
Attachments
Parts List,WARFORD.jpg
Parts List,WARFORD.jpg (971.03 KiB) Viewed 13409 times
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

for some reason this photo didn't come through the first time, this is the packing I used on my Warford
Attachments
packing.JPG
packing.JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 13409 times