GROOVED VERSUS SMOOTH HYATT STYLE ROLLER BEARINGS

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

GROOVED VERSUS SMOOTH HYATT STYLE ROLLER BEARINGS

Post by birdacre »

ARE THESE INDEED FOR OIL FLOW. I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS IS JUST A MARKING FROM THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. THE STEEL IS WRAPPED AROUND THE ROLLERS ALMOST LIKE RIBBON? SOME SAY THIS STYLE FLEXES AND THE NEW STYLE ie. SMOOTH DOES NOT GIVE AND IS A BAD DESIGN. ANY IDEAS OR VIEWS, EXPERIENCE??? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Re: GROOVED VERSUS SMOOTH HYATT STYLE ROLLER BEARINGS

Post by vonheine »

I am very interested in this discussion. I have three NOS BB-1225 wheel bearings that have the spiral grooves, and yes they float in the cages just enough to keep the rollers parallel with the two races under a heavy flexing load. I believe the spiral grooves are designed to hold grease rather than a result of a manufacturing procedure. While searching for a fourth new bearing, I found one and I purchased it, but it doesn't have the spiral grease grooves, and it doesn't have the same amount of float in the cage. I was wondering myself if this is an inferior design even though it has the same part number. Let's see what other AA mechanics /club members think about this.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

there is a company called lang't that sells model T parts. i looked in their hyatt section. they said that the one's that are available don't have the grooves and they would not recommend using them on the outer end of rear axles. this made me wonder?
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:21 pm:

Steve,

The Hyatt bearings are indeed springs - not just steel tubes with spiral grooves in them.

That's why they work and the replacements don't - they deal with the misalignment of the rather flexible parts they keep separated.

Seth
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

this was taken from a ford model t forum. confirms your thoughts. here is the link http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1243973228