Extended Fuel Range - How do you overcome this?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
CannonballRally
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1931

Extended Fuel Range - How do you overcome this?

Post by CannonballRally »

Okay so I might not be the brightest lamp post but the one thing I constantly struggle with is fuel range. My tank holds about 10 gallons, I seem to be getting around 6-7 MPG. I live north of Toronto and my fuel resellers are not always handy, that is unless I travel the busiest 2 lane roads. It is extremely difficult to hold a 5 gallon gas can while balancing yourself just to the left or right of the engine, which is extremely hot and attempting to pour fuel into the tank. How do you guys handle this?

I was looking at putting a steamer trunk ( AKA Pirate Trunk ) in the back of the truck, toss in a 20 Gallon fuel cell and pump, along with a 12 V battery so I can run a line over the top of the truck and pour fuel into the tank when needed. No one would know whats inside the trunk, and I would not have to be a magician and not pour fuel all over the top of the truck.

I looked at the latest Fuel Pumps that you put into a gas can for 20 Bucks but they require gravity feed, hence above the tank, which means holding it while it fills. I suppose one could do that same from the bed of the truck and merely put a few gas cans inside the trunk.

I would like to take the truck to other shows and meets but don't have the range to do so. Any suggestions on what others do would be very welcomed. I just do not want to toss 4 gas cans in the back exposed. Thanks
1931 AA Truck - CAAS4775 - 82-B , AA157
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Extended Fuel Range - How do you overcome this?

Post by Chris Haynes »

Putting a gas tank in a non ventilated trunk is a bad idea. Also bare in mind that any mounting straps must be insulated. No metal contact with the tank.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

CannonballRally

Yes I considered that - was thinking about putting mesh screen vent cut-outs in steamer trunk. The trunk is merely to house and hold the fuel behind a finished cabinet, something that looks the part - I could use an old Wine / Rum Barrel for that matter and do the same.
Attachments
rumbarrel.jpg
rumbarrel.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
CannonballRally

6v fuel pump - well that's a perfect solution ( did not know they existed - I guess the more I think about it obviously they had them - A "dah" moment) - still using a fuel cell of whatever shape or size and using the pump with switch - this has really got me thinking - maybe a truck saddle tank just mounted in the back of the body against the back wall or to the floor - comes properly vented and ... just add line and nossle - how simple can this be. I rarely use the truck for anything other then driving around. I did take it to the lumber yard but this would not interfere with that rare occasion. hmmmm
Attachments
413uOzpQOIL.jpg
413uOzpQOIL.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Where do u go or whats your area like that there isnt a gas station to fill up at along the way?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

You can use air pressure to 'push' the air from one container to the gas tank. If your going to a show you will want something that rolls up and can be hidden. I saw a pix that someone had a "stack" of lumber in the back that was hollow and held a big ol cooler. looked rustic and natural. Small air tank to supply air pressure. Or us a small hand pump.. You presently have a 50 mile range, Playing it safe, so every ten gallons will get you another 50 miles. Oh! Don't forget the return trip..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
CannonballRally

Sorry tied up yesterday doing shores around the farm. Where Do I Go? Well I live in an area north of any major city. There are a lot of side roads which are perfect for tootling along - ie: not a lot of traffic but those roads don't offer anything in the way of fuel stops. I enjoy these roads on my motorcycle so I know whats around. The bike gives me a 400 mile range, not 50 if you know what I mean. I looked last night at maybe doing a simple fix - on the cheap but perfectly sensible solution. Mounting 2 Military fuel cans and using a hand pump with self powered pump. All in I might be into 140 bucks. This way they look the part in the back, are thin out of the way and mounted to the inside of the box. Properly vented ( key) and I can just remove one at a time and using the handheld pump place the tank on a rubber mat on the opposing hood and let er rip. Very easy to remove the plastic fuel cans to fill and no major expense required. I think I will just go this way.
Attachments
hand-fuel-pump.jpg
hand-fuel-pump.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
gas-can-military.png
gas-can-military.png (126.74 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

I see your in Canada land but some states here in the US dont allow metal cans to be filled at service stations. I would securely make some kinda mount in the bed and find a way to keep the sun off the can but that seems like the easiest solution. Just dont forget to fill the can and the truck up before you leave your destination haha.
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug

Post by jungerfrosch »

Why not just add a tank under your bed and hook it up to a tank selector switch. If you could find a 6v switch it would be easy enough to add a switch in a hidden location, or you could find a manual switch. Planning to use cans on a regular basis...or rigging a system to fill your tank from another does not seem like a very good long term solution. Sometimes a touch of originality has to be sacrificed to actually be able to use a vehicle safely. When mounting your tank you could make the brackets so that you use existing holes so you don't need to modify the truck.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Ya But !! The Rum Barrels look so cool!!!!!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
CannonballRally

Add a Tank - I looked at this idea but here is the skinny on that front. One would need to run a line to the existing tank - that would leave you with only a few options. a) either change out the fuel petcock to one with two inputs as opposed to one which is stock or b) run a line across the dash to the tank.

I saw the merit in doing just that but was concerned how one would see how much fuel has gone into the tank and secondly the potential for leakage with a modified input fuel petcock and or running the line to the tank.

When I looked at Military tanks I found one that was plastic ( TSC Store - 31 bucks! ) which is identical in size and fits within the holders. Sun is of course major concern in terms of expansion. Maybe the answer simply is mount the tanks inside either a steamer trunk with proper ventilation and or inside a rum barrel again with ventilation, regardless I still see the key to simplicity as a pour on demand solution unfortunately.
Attachments
395903.jpg
395903.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 7658 times
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Not sure they would fit, but it's an idea I've had rolling around for a while. No good for judging, but might be a solution for those of us who like to drive 'em.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180812-125913.png
Screenshot_20180812-125913.png (534.17 KiB) Viewed 7613 times
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois