AA mail truck or other closed wood bodies

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

AA mail truck or other closed wood bodies

Post by vonheine »

As good sheet metal continues to become hard to find, I am considering building a period correct wood body for my AA truck. Does anyone know if AA mail truck body blue prints are available? Does anyone have period blueprints for wood closed bodies for a 131 wb AA truck?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: AA mail truck or other closed wood bodies

Post by Chris Haynes »

Build two as I would like to have one too. :-)
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

I met a guy at the Hershey 2018 meet that said he has copies of the blueprints for Model A Ford mail truck bodies, based upon the car chassis.

I am trying to connect with him to obtain those as I believe the front 2/3rds would be exactly the same for the AA chassis. The straight part must just be longer. There must be drawings out there for other wood bodies too, York Hoover, etc.
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Aldie Johnson wrote a book which includes measured drawings. See postalas.org. These drawings were provided by the government to the various suppliers of mail truck bodies.
Hayslip
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

vonheine wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 9:44 pm
I met a guy at the Hershey 2018 meet that said he has copies of the blueprints for Model A Ford mail truck bodies, based upon the car chassis.

I am trying to connect with him to obtain those as I believe the front 2/3rds would be exactly the same for the AA chassis. The straight part must just be longer. There must be drawings out there for other wood bodies too, York Hoover, etc.
The AA bodies are taller than the A bodies so even the front part is different.

Bob
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

I have a set of blueprints for the AA mail Truck , I will check on making copies this week , I will sell my AA Mail Truck 80% complete for $10,500
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

How much do you want for a set of drawings? Where did you obtain them?
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

The prints were drawn by Sherwood Stoll ,they were sent to me by Daniel Peria , Martinez GA,I will let you know how much after I get them copied
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

bud valerius wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 5:15 am
The prints were drawn by Sherwood Stoll ,they were sent to me by Daniel Peria , Martinez GA,I will let you know how much after I get them copied
Bud, consider having them scanned rather than making paper copies. The copy center would need a flash drive from you. Once they are scanned, they will be electronic files and can be sent to anyone via email.

If you have a scanner that can handle the size pages you have, then you could scan them yourself.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

Hello Bud, Neil, and others interested in this thread: I am joining the Postal As group and I have learned that AA mail truck drawings are available through that club. They also have drawings for the “box” for the A car frame. It seems that the A car drawings are also needed to get a comprehensive understanding of how to build the AA box. I would like to see photos of Bud’s mail truck that is 80% complete if available.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

I can email you photos if you send me your e mail address .mine is (economyelectric@hotmail.com)
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Here's an example of an early 1930 with 1931 wheels http://www.oldnycphotos.com/queens55l.html. Note 5 panels just below the roof line. This was the largest of the AA bodies. Most of the AA bodies had 4.
Hayslip
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

Thank you for posting this amazing photograph. This is the only photograph that I have seen with a 1929- early 1930 nose. This “box” is either sitting on the same frame part number that I own or is this a 157 inch wheel base truck?
Where did you learn about the 5 panel vs a 4 panel? I have gone back and looked at other photos and I see 4 panels. I thought they were all the same. (Learning more everyday)
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Here's a 1929 AA worm drive Mail truck http://www.oldnycphotos.com/cobble315.html. Also :https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/ite ... 0a18064a99. Both of these images are of the 5 panel body. The first one above is the only 1929 AA I've ever seen. The second one is an early 1930 with a late 1930 bumper. The second image is #709398F of the NYPL Digital Collection if you can't find it in that long URL. The 5 panel body has a second door on the driver's side to the rear of the driver's door. This door is hinged. The driver's door is sliding and covers this second door when open.
Hayslip