back fire seems to run lean

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

back fire seems to run lean

Post by birdacre »

any ideas why my AA would suddenly need the main jet knob turned out 3 turns to run well. points are good, it also works if choke is pulled 1/3 closed. i know it might be 25 degrees but i never had this before. i guess it could be a speck of dirt in carb? bad condensor. seems like fuel deliver? any ideas, i should start with carb disassemble first but thought i would ask any other members. never had this problem with model a or this aa until now. thank you, kevin
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: back fire seems to run lean

Post by 1crosscut »

If choking it makes it run better then it is most likely that there is a chunk of crud in the carburetor. Pulling it apart and blowing it out is a good first step. If that doesn't help then a complete disassembly with a soak in carb cleaner is in order.
Be sure to check your fuel filter and check that you have good flow of gas to the carburetor.
See that the gas cap is venting.
Check for failed intake manifold gasket and that the carburetor is also tight to the intake manifold.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:26 am
If choking it makes it run better then it is most likely that there is a chunk of crud in the carburetor. Pulling it apart and blowing it out is a good first step. If that doesn't help then a complete disassembly with a soak in carb cleaner is in order.
Be sure to check your fuel filter and check that you have good flow of gas to the carburetor.
See that the gas cap is venting.
Check for failed intake manifold gasket and that the carburetor is also tight to the intake manifold.
What e said !!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

had a good rebuilt carb in cabinet. bolted on, like a new truck, i will soak the spare to have another spare. i think maybe an inline fuel filter. i have just the old sediment bowl in use although cleaned with new screen. most likely not as fine holes as an in line. thank you, kevin
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Glad you found where the problem is. Be sure to test the carburetor out after you get it cleaned up before setting it aside as a spare.
I would be hesitant about adding in an inline filter. They can cause more issues than they solve. Check to see that you have a pencil filter in the tank fuel shut off valve. That will help keeping debris from getting into the fuel line in the first place.
------------
Dave