Early (2 piece) brake cross shafts won't come out

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed
Model Year: 1928

Early (2 piece) brake cross shafts won't come out

Post by Rumbler »

OK, last parts to come off my frame are the left and right brake cross shafts on my early 28 truck. However, the inside lever at the end of the shaft won't fit through the slot in the frame (that the shaft goes through). The slot is about 1-1/16" and the shaft end of the lever is about 1-1/4" diameter. How do I get these out...must I remove the outside lever? enlarge the slot? How did they get these installed in the first place? Surely they didn't assemble the levers to the shaft while in the frame... :?

Please see attached photos...(sorry, for some reason the photo of the frame slot wants to rotate 90 degrees CCW).
Attachments
a2019-02-25 17.53.36.jpg
a2019-02-25 17.53.36.jpg (280.66 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
a2019-02-25 17.55.15.jpg
a2019-02-25 17.55.15.jpg (293.3 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
a2019-02-25 17.53.36.jpg
a2019-02-25 17.53.36.jpg (280.66 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: Early (2 piece) brake cross shafts won't come out

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'd take the rivet out and take it apart. I think that is how I did mine..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Rumbler

Post by Rumbler »

Thanks, KVO. I ground the peened head off and tried punching the rivet out without success. Will probably have to drill them out, but hard to hold the shaft fixed when in the frame. I know I'm whining, but it should be easier! :cry:
emf
Body Type: Firetruck

Post by emf »

I seem to remember when I removed mine from a spare frame a couple of years ago that I did not have to remove either end. Rather, if I rotated the shaft to the back of the frame, they came right out. They sure would not have been riveting the shafts together on the frame while on the assembly line...

Frank
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

well the 1 piece shafts after this style had to have been riveted on after its inserted into the frame. No other way to get the horseshoe out without removing both arms.

Id guess you have to remove the arm rivet and slide the shaft out towards the driveshaft on both sides.
W Simshauser
Body Type: flat bed

Post by W Simshauser »

I just took mine apart and put it back again today. I must have an earlier cross shaft. The levers on the ends of each half are not riveted on. They are one casting with the shaft. Each cross shaft half fits through the holes in the frame just fine by angling the inside single lever through the hole. It looks like you will have to remove the lever on the outside end.
Bill
Rumbler

Post by Rumbler »

Thanks, Bill-
You've provided a great clue! According to the RGJS (Area 7-4, Revised 2011):
1) "The first 2-piece shaft (A-2485-A) had a pinned lever (eye on top, clevis on bottom). It was limited to the first 20,000 cars and ended in February 1928."
2) "The second shaft (A-2485-B) had a lever which was forged integral with the shaft (eye on top, clevis on bottom)."
3) "The third shaft (A-2485-C) introduced in May 1928 was also forged integral and was used with the non-adjustable brake rods (clevis on top, clevis on bottom)."
4) "A new design (A-2485-D) was introduced in November 1928. It was a one-piece tubular design with forged levers riveted on the ends. Spherical cast zinc or steel bushings were used near each end."

>So it looks like I have the 1st design. My truck is an April 1928, but they probably used up the old shaft inventory on the commercial trucks.
>You must have either design 2 or 3, which can be determined by the lever style as indicated above.
>Stakebed must have been referring to design 4.

So that doesn't make my job any easier, but at least I better understand the background. I'll go back to removing the rivets. Plus finding new rivets for when I reassemble. A continual learning process!
Cheers,
Brian
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Rumbler wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 3:46 pm
Thanks, Bill-
1) "The first 2-piece shaft (A-2485-A) had a pinned lever (eye on top, clevis on bottom). It was limited to the first 20,000 cars and ended in February 1928."
2) "The second shaft (A-2485-B) had a lever which was forged integral with the shaft (eye on top, clevis on bottom)."
3) "The third shaft (A-2485-C) introduced in May 1928 was also forged integral and was used with the non-adjustable brake rods (clevis on top, clevis on bottom)."
4) "A new design (A-2485-D) was introduced in November 1928. It was a one-piece tubular design with forged levers riveted on the ends. Spherical cast zinc or steel bushings were used near each end."

>So it looks like I have the 1st design. My truck is an April 1928, but they probably used up the old shaft inventory on the commercial trucks.
>You must have either design 2 or 3, which can be determined by the lever style as indicated above.
>Stakebed must have been referring to design 4.

So that doesn't make my job any easier, but at least I better understand the background. I'll go back to removing the rivets. Plus finding new rivets for when I reassemble. A continual learning process!
Cheers,
Brian
What I said. :shock: Grind and drill.. kvo
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
W Simshauser
Body Type: flat bed

Post by W Simshauser »

I have the third design as it has the clevis on top and bottom. My truck is an Oct 28.
Thanks for the info.
Bill
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rumbler wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 3:46 pm
Thanks, Bill-
For AA trucks, the E supplement of the RGJS must be referenced first. Area 7-4 is for the A chassis. Page E-47 and E-48 covers the AA Service Brake Cross Shaft designs. These were AA parts (i.e. not the same as the A chassis parts).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Rumbler

Post by Rumbler »

Thanks, Neil.
Looks similar, first design was pinned-on levers (my truck) and the second design had integral forged levers.

Brian