lifting cab off of frame

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rrich1
Model Year: 1931

lifting cab off of frame

Post by rrich1 »

I have searched and may have missed it. But is there a step by step anywhere, here or someplace else, that shows how to lift the cab off of the frame to retrieve the id number? How high is needed to be able to view the number? This is for my 31. Thank you.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: lifting cab off of frame

Post by Chris Haynes »

The Splash apron also has to be moved.
KillianAA
Body Type: 82 B Closed Cab

Post by KillianAA »

I too am very interested in any tips, techniques, and hints anyone can give on accessing the frame numbers. My '31 will likely not get anything close to a frame off restoration while I own it. One might say my goal is to repair it, more than restore it, at the moment leaving it as much as possible, in its original state with all the requisit dents, dings, rust (arrested from further deterioration), modifications, repairs, etc. it earned in its life as a hard working farm truck.

Because I don't have the original title (one farmer sold it to another farmer - my cousin - many decades ago and the title may or may not have been transferred at that time) and the engine is almost certainly a replacement (its number indicates it was manufactured in '29 and is stamped "A" instead of "AA"), I want to attempt to identify the number stamped on the frame to determine the original VIN to establish a new title. I would like to avoid dismantling any more than necessary. My focus is on repairing fuel, electrical, drivetrain, and brake systems along with necessary body work to stablize the cab via rot repair to make it run safely and have fun with it.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Remove hood and radiator support rods. Remove floorboards. Remove all body mounting to frame hardware. Remove steering column bracket cap. Remove throttle and spark control rods. Remove Choke rod. Disconnect the gas line. Disconnect speedometer cable from drive line. Remove hardware connecting rear fender to splash apron and running board. Don't forget hood latches. Also check for anything else between the body and frame that would restrict lifting it a few inches. With the help of four friends lift the body high enough to insert some 4x4 blocks between the body and frame. On the front of the drivers side make sure the block is on the edge of the frame and not on the splash apron. Remove hardware attaching splash apron and fender to the frame. Now if you are lucky you should be able to lift the splash apron a couple inches to be able to clean the area the number is in with a wire brush. From under the car slip a mirror in with its back side to the splash apron. Hopefully you will be able to find the number. If not remove the front fender and splash apron and running board to expose it. It ain't easy but is a must do to get a correct title to your car. I am in the process of doing this myself. The M678 number stamped on my late production Diamond block isn't safe to have on the title for many reasons.
KillianAA
Body Type: 82 B Closed Cab

Post by KillianAA »

Thanks Chris for the great information! In order to remove my gas tank for repair, I had to dismantle much of what you describe here, so I am well on my way. I like your mirror suggestion to avoid having to completely remove the fendor and apron if possible. I'll pass on a trick I use in my daily job that is a modern twist on an old standby... one can use the camera on a smart phone in video recording mode to film something you can't get your head near to see and then review the video footage. It can even be used as a digital mirror of sorts if the forward facing camera is turned on (the one used for selfies). You can then see the backside of something in the screen and video or still shot it (great for observing cracks in the bottom of pipes in a trench... something I've done more than once in my work a day job!). Turning on the flash or screen illumination for forward facing shots can help with lighting too.

If anyone else has other tips for exposing the frame number I'm all ears!
rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

Chris Haynes wrote:Remove hood and radiator support rods. Remove floorboards. Remove all body mounting to frame hardware. Remove steering column bracket cap. Remove throttle and spark control rods. Remove Choke rod. Disconnect the gas line. Disconnect speedometer cable from drive line. Remove hardware connecting rear fender to splash apron and running board. Don't forget hood latches. Also check for anything else between the body and frame that would restrict lifting it a few inches. With the help of four friends lift the body high enough to insert some 4x4 blocks between the body and frame. On the front of the drivers side make sure the block is on the edge of the frame and not on the splash apron. Remove hardware attaching splash apron and fender to the frame. Now if you are lucky you should be able to lift the splash apron a couple inches to be able to clean the area the number is in with a wire brush. From under the car slip a mirror in with its back side to the splash apron. Hopefully you will be able to find the number. If not remove the front fender and splash apron and running board to expose it. It ain't easy but is a must do to get a correct title to your car. I am in the process of doing this myself. The M678 number stamped on my late production Diamond block isn't safe to have on the title for many reasons.
Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

rrich1 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 10:28 pm
I have searched and may have missed it. But is there a step by step anywhere, here or someplace else, that shows how to lift the cab off of the frame to retrieve the id number? How high is needed to be able to view the number? This is for my 31. Thank you.
On my '28 the number is just in front of the cab. Just open the engine cover and there it is..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

KimVanOrder wrote:
rrich1 wrote:
On my '28 the number is just in front of the cab. Just open the engine cover and there it is..
They didn't put them there on the '31s. I wish they had though!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

KimVanOrder wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 3:35 pm
rrich1 wrote:
Ford didn't put it there. :)
cokefirst
Body Type: stake

Post by cokefirst »

I did this to paint the cab. Unless your cab was kept in dry conditions, it is likely that the mirror trick will not work. My VIN was so faint it took several attempts by a CHP VIN expert to determine the number. Once is was decided. I painted the frame black with spray paint but left the part with the vin number bare. I then sprayed it with a clear paint. I removed the 8 fasteners from the cab and pulled the steering box and wiring. I doubt if you will be able to lift the cab high enough to see the number without removing the hood, wiring, floorboards, steering column, etc. Each state has different rules, and I am lucky enough to have a friend who is with the CHP, they came to my storage 3 times to verify this VIN by their auto theft experts. I think that if the VIN were in excellent condition you MAY be able to see it by cutting away the welt that is not covered by the running board apron and seeing it with the floorboards removed. Unfortunately, these trucks were often used and abused so a pristine VIN is unlikely. It is also a good idea to stamp the VIN in a place on the truck that is accessible but somewhat hidden in case your truck is stolen. I bought one of those VIN tags from a Model A supplier and had the VIN stamped on that plate and I put it under the seat support so that you have to know it is there.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Chris Haynes wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 10:34 pm
KimVanOrder wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 3:35 pm
rrich1 wrote:
Ford didn't put it there. :)
Chris: I beg to differ. The truck has been on the family farm since the begining, ( Over the hill in the River bottoms for About 40 yrs), and no one else has owned it or has restamped it, Only dad and I have owned it. The engine is not original to the truck, (Dec. truck, Oct. engine). Original engine went onto an oil well, then the "junk" truck was pushed into the bottoms, until we pulled it out around 1975. Tehn the repair started..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Some things have no explanation. For instance it is well known that in 1932 Henry quit numbering engines and put the number on the bell housing. This continued through the Flathead era. BUT! California had a law that all vehicles must have an engine number. I have found many, many Flathead engines with the serial number stamped on the milled gasket surface in front of the intake manifold. Most likely put there at the CA dealership.