aux transmission/2 speed axle?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
A Roadster
Body Type: bus
Model Year: 1929

aux transmission/2 speed axle?

Post by A Roadster »

Pardon my ignorance, but I am new to the AA's. My '29 AA dually bus has the 4 speed transmission with the finger switch for 1st and reverse. It also has either a hi/lo auxiliary transmission or a 2 speed axle :?: . It is operated by an arm that lifts up just behind the main transmission tower. I don't know how to operate it. in the down position, the main operates normally. But when I lift it, everything seems to go to neutral. So the question is: how do I operate this thing? :?: :?:
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: aux transmission/2 speed axle?

Post by Neil Wilson »

A Roadster wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but I am new to the AA's. My '29 AA dually bus has the 4 speed transmission with the finger switch for 1st and reverse. It also has either a hi/lo auxiliary transmission or a 2 speed axle :?: . It is operated by an arm that lifts up just behind the main transmission tower. I don't know how to operate it. in the down position, the main operates normally. But when I lift it, everything seems to go to neutral. So the question is: how do I operate this thing? :?: :?:
Ford factory 1929 AA's did not come with dual rear wheels (nor could the 1929 axle accept dual wheels). Pictures of your truck would help id it. The 4-speed transmission did not come from Ford with the extra transmission referenced. Pictures would help id it. And, it is unlikely that the rear axle is a "2 speed".
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by A Roadster »

As it turns out, it is a Warford. It is in line on the drive shaft behind my 4-speed transmission. The shift lever has 3 positions- bottom, midway, and up. How do I use it?
Neil Wilson

Warford Shifting

Post by Neil Wilson »

A Roadster wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:37 am
As it turns out, it is a Warford. It is in line on the drive shaft behind my 4-speed transmission. The shift lever has 3 positions- bottom, midway, and up. How do I use it?
The Warford transmissions that I know of are three speeds (under, direct, and over). See attached
Attachments
Warford  doc 3 c1.jpg
Warford doc 3 c1.jpg (100.13 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by A Roadster »

Thanks, Neil. The diagram helps a whole lot. Now I need to play with it and develop my finesse on what works best. Thanks again
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

It is a non-syncromesh crash box.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

A Roadster wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 9:36 am
Thanks, Neil. The diagram helps a whole lot. Now I need to play with it and develop my finesse on what works best. Thanks again
My suggestion is to put the Warford in high and not try to change gears when moving. The 4-speed can be used for shifting while driving.
Regards, Neil Wilson