Mirror advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Mirror advice

Post by Jeff Brown »

hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best option for the rear view mirror. My 28/29 truck has a D5 door post with the two holes for the mirror bracket between the upper and middle hinge points. According to Neil's excellent article on mirrors in the 2018 Double Aer, I need a 11 1/16" long mirror bracket. I have two concerns, one is that if it sticks out this far at this height , that people will walk into it. And secondly, will it see over the sides of the stake bed. I rigged up a temporary arrangement and it didn't seem great, so I am wondering whether I should go for the later style that fits to the upper hinge, even though not period correct. Can anyone with a similar location advise.

thanks

Jeff
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Mirror advice

Post by KimVanOrder »

My '28 has the mirror at the top of the pillar, so it is over the racks. It is not that long, with out measuring I would say around 8". I also mounted an inside mirror. This one is attached to a small piece of metal that slides in on top, or over, the interior panel. Slide it way up and then down to hook the bottom. that way it can be removed easily so all is original.. Oh! to outside one vibrates side to side so everything is 2 to 3 times wider than should be, the inside one vibrates up and down so everything is 2 times higher than should be. so the two together just gives you an idea there is someone behind you.. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

I have the short arm mirrors mounted using the two round headed bolts that attach the visor. I have a mirror on both sides. Works quite well and visibility is "good".
------------
Dave
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Dave, that is certainly an option. I'd still like to hear from someone with one on the door pillar between hinges though, to see if it is in fact a nuisance!

Jeff
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 7:15 am
hi all, I'm trying to figure out the best option for the rear view mirror. My 28/29 truck has a D5 door post with the two holes for the mirror bracket between the upper and middle hinge points. According to Neil's excellent article on mirrors in the 2018 Double Aer, I need a 11 1/16" long mirror bracket. I have two concerns, one is that if it sticks out this far at this height , that people will walk into it. And secondly, will it see over the sides of the stake bed. I rigged up a temporary arrangement and it didn't seem great, so I am wondering whether I should go for the later style that fits to the upper hinge, even though not period correct. Can anyone with a similar location advise. thanks Jeff
For those who don't know, the hinge-pillar had five designs for side view mirrors installation - refer to https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/body- ... rrors/#pib. Jeff's truck has the design 5 hinge-pillar (used er/29-6/30).

Jeff,
The 11-1/16" long AA-17745 side view mirror is at about my shoulder height (I am 6' tall). This allows the mirror to hit my shoulder. But, I would have to hug the running board for this to happen. I don't think this is much of a problem, but could be for some. It actually does not allow viewing over the stake racks and does not show much around the sides. So, not a great design in my opinion. Finding the AA-17745 bracket is very hard.

Consideration - The long, later hinge installed mirror brackets do not fit the 82-A closed cab hinges. When Ford moved the mirror for the design 5 hinge-pillar, the oval headed machine screws for the sun visor were change from 1/4" to 3/16". So, this is something to think about, should you switch to the sun visor mount location.

For a driver-type truck, right/left sun visor side view mirrors seem logical. The sun visor mirror bracket is 7-1/4" long and hard to find (visit https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/body- ... a17737d1-2). If the truck is to be judged, then originally would be logical. To have a driver and judged truck is a problem. For good viability, home made brackets seem to be required. I wonder if a back-up camera could be fit?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Neil, I think I will make a bracket to fit my top hinge, I am more interested in being able to see behind than judging points! I have a door pillar mount type that I can modify for the hinge.

Jeff