coolant Temp.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

coolant Temp.

Post by KimVanOrder »

Just what temperature should the engine coolant run at? Originally they ran just water, so is it below 212 deg.???

What are yours running at?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: coolant Temp.

Post by 1crosscut »

I think in a perfect world it should be in the 180 -190 range. This is a temperature that is well below boiling but warm enough for efficient running and to evaporate condensation out of the engine oil.
My truck tends to run on the lower side at 160 - 180.
Just my opinion but I think every A and AA owner should have an inexpensive dial meat thermometer to directly check the coolant so that you know for sure what is going on inside the power plant.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Thanks Dave: I guess I have some research to do, finding out why mine is soo hot. Thanks again..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

What have you done so far in trying to get the temperature down?
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:23 pm
What have you done so far in trying to get the temperature down?
To date: new radiator, flushed system several times, ( 3), New coolant. Added fan shroud. Re-set timing. I have not seen bubbles in the radiator. The coolant is clean. I think next step is to treat with Anti-rust fluid. Rust 911 or such.. last time I drove it I did not notice 'gurgling' when I parked it. I'm thinking that the block has never been cleaned out so it is time for that next.. Also I found a reference on line, to a service bulletin issued in '29- '30, to opening up a passage just inside the inlet casting on the block. I found the photo copy of the drawing I printed at the time I found it, but can't find the site back.. Says to grind it back to a 5/8" opening from the original cast size. That will also be done very soon..

Maybe I just need to think cool thoughts!! :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Sounds as if you have covered the bases. However timing could still be the issue if the advance lever coming out of the rear of the distributor is not traveling the full distance to each edge of the opening in the distributor body. This not being set correctly before the timing is set is a major source of engine over heating.
Have you verified that it is making full travel from side to side?
Are you setting the advance lever to the fully up position prior to setting the timing?
Are you using the NuRex timing wrench to set the timing? It is an almost fool proof way of setting the timing.
I ask these questions since I don't know how familiar you are with setting the timing.

Something else to consider is do you have a leak on the intake manifold? If so it could be causing it to run lean. Also if the GAV is shut it will run too lean possibly causing it to run hot.

I don't think that grinding the inlet opening larger is going to solve your issues.

If all of the above is correct then you probably have rust build up in the engine and you will need to pull the head and try to clean the water passages. Perhaps your new radiator already has rust from the engine plugging up the top tubes already.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Thanks for the input. Today I flushed with radiator cleaner. Now the coolant is clean. So just to be sure I put another bottle of cleaner in tonight and will run it again tomorrow and then flush it several times. Then I plan on using a bottle of "Thermocure" to get the rust out. In the mean time I'll redo the timing again just to be sure. After the first cleaning coolant was at 190 deg. . So I think I'm going in the correct direction. Need to get a Nurex timing wrench.. I'll keep thinking COOL!! :mrgreen:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Keep at it. You will win.
------------
Dave
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump

Post by Cschaff63 »

I put new rod bearings in, built and installed a fan shroud, set the timing with a timing light and changed water pump impeller. Took truck for drive today and water temp never went above 170.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I think a lot of this has to do with what type of Radiator is installed. Mine is a standard Model A . Not an AA heavy duty. So it will not remove heat as quickly.. Also I have not removed the internal web just inside the inlet as described in a service bulletin. That will be a winter project..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA