Setting timing with test light.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Setting timing with test light.

Post by KimVanOrder »

How many notches down on the timing lever for the test light hooked to the points to go out. ( is that proper English)? Three notches? or Two? Setting the timing to get the temp. down.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Setting timing with test light.

Post by 1crosscut »

It should go out with just a slight movement of the spark lever.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 6:30 pm
It should go out with just a slight movement of the spark lever.
Well,, I'll change that then.. I must have tried setting it 4 or 5 times today. Finally got it to run decent. I'll re-set it tomorrow.

Next issue is the dist. is loose in the head. Wiggles a bit so i'm sure timing is fluctuating. Any ideas on how to tighten this up. The set screw dosn't seem to hold it.. Things are just worn. Knurl, shim, bush?? Maybe i can ream the head and add shim stock? any suggestions..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Try a different distributor to see if the fit is tighter. Is your set screw worn?
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I got the distributor tight. The set screw was "screwed" up. Took it all apart, tan Tap and Die over all and then I was able to tighten it. I also found an article explaining the Timing set up. Light should just go off with lever all the way up. Slight move of cam and light / points break. Then it was explained that total movement of lever will change timing up to 40 Deg. Never run that way. never all up or down. 1/3 to 1/2 way down. All the way up is timing at 0 deg. to facilitate starting with crank. Now it all makes since.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

You are getting closer. Do you have full movement of the arm coming out of the distributor? In other words \does the lever touch each side of the distributor body when the lever is fully up and when the lever is fully down?
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:52 pm
You are getting closer. Do you have full movement of the arm coming out of the distributor? In other words \does the lever touch each side of the distributor body when the lever is fully up and when the lever is fully down?
Yes. Full travel of plate. This gives a max. of 40 deg. adv. which is way more than you would ever want. So the possible range of timing now is 0 to 40 deg. It dose seem to run better with the lever 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down. So I think I have the timing issue under control..

Radiator coolant is now water and 32 oz. of "Thermocure", and getting blacker by the day. I plan to leave it in for a week then flush and see what i get for temp. then..

Thanks for all the input..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Keep us posted. I think you will win this one.
------------
Dave