Steering worm removal.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Steering worm removal.

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'm looking for ideas on how to get the steering worm gear off the steering shaft. Looks like a splined shaft from what I see. But will not move. Any ideas??
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Re: Steering worm removal.

Post by AAholic »

Heat and or a press, thats how I did mine
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

AAholic wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 5:50 pm
Heat and or a press, thats how I did mine
Thanks... Got it..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I am going to need a new worm on mine too. Bottom race is trashed.
marcel kristoff
Body Type: flat deck

Post by marcel kristoff »

Don’t forget to remove the C clip first.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Is yours all apart? Worm race good? Upper race? Bearings? Hot line to the bank!! :shock: :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.

Post by David R. »

Got the worm off the shaft. Took lots of heat, patience and a heavy puller set up. Press would have been easier. The shaft is taper splined. Looks like I’ll need a sector too. The shaft on my sector is worn egg shaped. Got everything ordered. My old box was dry when I took it apart. Get everything cleaned up now and all threads chased. Not cheap, but should be like new.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

David R. wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 2:57 am
Got the worm off the shaft. Took lots of heat, patience and a heavy puller set up. Press would have been easier. The shaft is taper splined. Looks like I’ll need a sector too. The shaft on my sector is worn egg shaped. Got everything ordered. My old box was dry when I took it apart. Get everything cleaned up now and all threads chased. Not cheap, but should be like new.
I'm right behind you!!!!! :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I bought a freshly rebuilt F100 unit from Randy Gross. It is a bolt in for a Model A.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Chris Haynes wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 9:06 pm
I bought a freshly rebuilt F100 unit from Randy Gross. It is a bolt in for a Model A.
Dose it 'look'' like an original???
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

KimVanOrder wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Chris Haynes wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 9:06 pm
No. But it looks right at home. Plus it works a lot better and doesn't wear out like the A steering always does.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144990

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mel+Gro ... lZ2kZSJ0iM:
David R.

Post by David R. »

[/quote]
[/quote]

No. But it looks right at home. Plus it works a lot better and doesn't wear out like the A steering always does

How does original column, spark, throttle, horn, light switch work with modern box? I think I’ll stick with the stock unit for now. Grant it a modern design might work better, but the parts are available for the original and it is easily adjusted for wear. As for; “the new box won’t wear out like the A boxes always do”? Give them 90 years. Remember all the original A parts are OLD.
I would think a properly rebuilt and properly maintained original would last as long as a rebuilt modern one.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

David R. wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:11 am
[/quote]

No. But it looks right at home. Plus it works a lot better and doesn't wear out like the A steering always does

How does original column, spark, throttle, horn, light switch work with modern box? [/quote]

It works perfectly. It is designed to accept the Model" A" parts. This isn't some halfassed thing thrown together. It is well designed with new gears in the box, and a custom made shaft made to accept all of the "A" components.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

I've heard good things about the f150 boxes but If you stick with the original consider a shortened pitman arm, hardly noticeable from the original but makes for more responsive steering, i guess the theory being one needed all the leverage they could get for unpaved rutted roads, it is one of the few concessions I've made with mine.
I also turned a shoulder in the sector housing for a modern seal, to my surprise it's barley leaked a drop since, don't forget the improved STEERING HOUSING END PLATE WITH TUBE A-3568-T 29-31 $9.50 EA but don't waste your money on needle bearings for the sector, I could not tell any difference. With a new worm and sector, bearings,upper and lower races, my rebuild is holding up nicely, with hardly any backlash.
Attachments
A_3568_T.jpg
A_3568_T.jpg (1.47 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
David R.

Post by David R. »

Chris, that sounds like a good option, but I already have all the parts on the way for my stock unit. I wonder how the modern option compares in price to rebuilding original?
AAholic, I did the same as you and bought the end plate with the long tube and stuck with standard bushings for sector. I didn’t do a modern seal but the o ring and washer. I can live with a little drip here but figured it at least would help shield the grime out from the outside if it doesn’t provide a seal.
My front end was pretty worn out and axle bent, but I found another in better shape. Wow I have a lot of work to do! Haven’t even gotten into engine yet. Working on steering column while I’m waiting on new worm and sector.