Two Bulb Headlights

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Two Bulb Headlights

Post by David R. »

My ‘30 has two bulb headlights. Does the reflector go in with second bulb above or below center bulb. Is second lamp a park light? Can it be wired as a turn signal?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Two Bulb Headlights

Post by KimVanOrder »

David R. wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:18 pm
My ‘30 has two bulb headlights. Does the reflector go in with second bulb above or below center bulb. Is second lamp a park light? Can it be wired as a turn signal?
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Prod ... head-light
Below
Can be, or running light.
Yes
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump

Post by Cschaff63 »

The second bulb goes to the bottom and yes it can be wired as the turn signals
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The parking light goes to the top. If you look in the channel on the reflector were the gasket goes it should say TOP.

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

David R. wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:18 pm
The parking light must be to the top (Snyder's link shows the reflector up-side-down). The parking lights could be used for turn signals. My guess is this would be about worthless when the head lights are on.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

For turn signals the vendors sell some that fit in between the two front bumper bars. They are bright shiny chrome looking. I painted mine flat black. They work very well. I used contact cement to attach the wires leading up to them to the under side of each of the bumper support arms. Attached like this the wires are not noticeable.
------------
Dave
David R.

Post by David R. »

What about the possibility of adding cowl lights and use them as front turn signals?
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

That will work. But think about it, will people put one and one together with the light that high and back from the front. personally I would not worry about the frt. turn signals until you have everything else done.. I have the same front signals as Dave. even wired the same way..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.

Post by David R. »

Admittedly I am a long way from needing turn signals, just thinking ahead. What about a wiring harness? Should I buy a stock one and add wiring for signals later if I need to or buy one prewired for signals? Is it easy enough to run harness after body is assembled or on bare frame?
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

David R. wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 7:41 am
Admittedly I am a long way from needing turn signals, just thinking ahead. What about a wiring harness? Should I buy a stock one and add wiring for signals later if I need to or buy one prewired for signals? Is it easy enough to run harness after body is assembled or on bare frame?
I went with a base one and then added as I needed. Kind of fun to add in new stuff. One thing I added is a separate lines to the battery to a Magnetic electrical connector under the rear so When I back in I can magnetically hook on the battery tender. Just drive away and the magnet drops lose. There are no "hot" connection points that are exposed as there is a reed switch that opens and closes with the presents of the magnets.. Something I picked up in Germany. They use them on emergency vehicles..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA