AA Truck Wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

AA Truck Wheels

Post by vonheine »

Walking for days at Hershey 2019. Ran across a few AA truck wheels. The condition is very good but not Great, the prices are astronomical!..$350 each ...as Steve McQeen said in his last words in the movie the Sand Pebbles, “What the Hell Happened?”
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: AA Truck Wheels

Post by Neil Wilson »

Which kind of wheels did you find? There were several designs as shown at https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1000-wheels/#w
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

Hello Neil, I am absolutely astonished at the current prices. I saw two types of AA wheels, both were Budd style with 5 cut-outs/slots. Some were 1930 wheels with the two uninterrupted intersecting planes, and some were the 1931 wheels with the “bump”, re-enforcing bead. They were all hard priced, unyielding, at $350 each, at two to three different places/vendors.
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

They were AA-1015-C d1, and d4
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 8:41 pm
They were AA-1015-C d1, and d4
Thanks vonheine, I had no idea that the price for these 1930/1931 AA wheels have gotten that expensive. Did the wheels include the split locking ring? If yes, were the rings good enough for cadmium plating (i.e. no pitting).

Anyone know the asking price for the 1928 steel spoke and 1929 disk wheels? And, anyone know the asking price for the split locking rings?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

One seller included the lock ring and one did not include the lock ring for the same price. I didn’t study the quality of the lock rings that much. In general they looked OK. I am not sure how they would look cad plated.
tcrate01
Body Type: 29 Closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Post by tcrate01 »

I have four restored six hole disk wheels with lock rings from a 29 AA that I would sell for $100.00 each. I was planning on using them for my restoration until I came up with four spoke wheels.They have been sandblasted and painted with POR 15 then top coated with satin black POR 15 top coat. The lock rings are also painted black. Due to the heavy weight it would not be practical to ship them. I am located in northern Minnesota if someone is interested in local pickup. I will attach pictures if I can figure out how to do that through the photo bucket thing Maybe I should post this in the for sale section also.
Thanks.
T-crate
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The one stack of 5 nice Budd wheels with lock rings I saw at Hershey was priced at $2,000. I just walked away shaking my head. Keith
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by Cschaff63 »

These trucks have so little value anymore because the guys that have any interest in them are dying off. I always shake my head when I see what some guys are trying to get for their parts. Hell, I give my spare parts away just because I want to see the trucks stay around and driven!
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

tcrate01 wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 7:37 am
I have four restored six hole disk wheels with lock rings from a 29 AA that I would sell for $100.00 each. I was planning on using them for my restoration until I came up with four spoke wheels.They have been sandblasted and painted with POR 15 then top coated with satin black POR 15 top coat. The lock rings are also painted black. Due to the heavy weight it would not be practical to ship them. I am located in northern Minnesota if someone is interested in local pickup. I will attach pictures if I can figure out how to do that through the photo bucket thing Maybe I should post this in the for sale section also.
Thanks.
FYI - The cost for travel is much more than shipping. If you are not willing to ship, then your potential buyers are very limited.
Regards, Neil Wilson
tcrate01
Body Type: 29 Closed cab

Post by tcrate01 »

Neil Wilson wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 8:11 pm
tcrate01 wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 7:37 am
Thanks.
FYI - The cost for travel is much more than shipping. If you are not willing to ship, then your potential buyers are very limited.
Well I can definitely look into shipping as an option. If someone thought it was worth it, I would accommodate.
T-crate
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - I shipped two 1931 wheels with lock rings to Henderson, TX (from Boulder, CO) in July. The boxed weight was 49.6 lbs each. USPS shipping was $72.11 each and I charged $10 each for boxing ($156 total shipping). Yea, expensive! But, cheaper than driving. I would not have sold these wheels without offering shipping.

Vacations can sometime be planned around parts-pickup. My choice for some of my AA purchases.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Several years ago I bought a couple of wheels from a gent a few states away. He put duct tape around the wheel where the flap would normally be and wrote the addresses on the tape. Sent it USPS and it cost less than $30 per wheel. Prices have gone up since then but if USPS still allows that it might save some $'s.
------------
Dave