Torque Tube Grease Retainer (seal) Dimension?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Torque Tube Grease Retainer (seal) Dimension?

Post by Neil Wilson »

Correction per Bob C. below

Does anyone have an original "AA-4686 Drive Shaft Grease Retainer Assembly" and can provide a photo and the front-to-rear dimension (i.e. the depth)? This is the seal inserted into the front of the torque tube followed by the "Drive Shaft Roller Bearing Sleeve".
Last edited by Neil Wilson on October 22nd, 2019, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Torque Tube Grease Retainer (seal) Dimension?

Post by Bob C »

Neil, isn't the drive shaft seal AA-4686? AA-4245-D is the seal that goes at the end of the axle housing.
The picture is AA-4245-D.

Bob
DCP_0909.JPG
DCP_0909.JPG (24.84 KiB) Viewed 7240 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob C wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am
Neil, isn't the drive shaft seal AA-4686? AA-4245-D is the seal that goes at the end of the axle housing.
The picture is AA-4245-D. BobDCP_
Bob, you are correct. I corrected my original post above. I am looking for the depth of an original AA-4686 seal.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bob C »

Neil, I don't have an original seal handy but my seal interchange book shows 1.250 ID, 1.987 OD and .437 W.

Bob
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob C wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am
Neil, I don't have an original seal handy but my seal interchange book shows 1.250 ID, 1.987 OD and .437 W. Bob
Bob, Do you know the width of the seal sold by vendors? Snyder's has this seal at:
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Prod ... REASE-SEAL

An AA'er contacted me and indicated that the vendor sold seal was not a wide as the original. He indicated that a spacer was required to make up the difference in width so that the roller bearing would end up in the original position. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bob C »

I have noticed quite a few new seals are thinner than the old leather ones.

Bob
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

I called Snyder's. They measured the width (depth) of their seal as .439. I am trying to get the measurement of an original to know the exact difference.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: none

Post by vonheine »

I have the seal that came out of my early 1930 AA truck. (It should be a AA-4686 seal) There are no markings on the seal. I believe it is original equipment as the truck seems to have left the Ford factory and was then worked to death. When I disassembled the truck it appears that there was absolutely no maintenance efforts. Everything was neglected, left alone. The ID is chewed up, The OD measures 1.987, the Thickness measures 15/32, or . 468. I am currently shopping for one of these seals. ( I have an alternative that I don't like, a Federal Mogul 471750. I think I bought the FM 35 years ago because someone said it would work, but it's terrible: 1.250 ID x 1.983 OD x .250 thick... maybe two of them back to back might be a solution)
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 5:34 pm
I have the seal that came out of my early 1930 AA truck. (It should be a AA-4686 seal) The ID is chewed up, The OD measures 1.987, the Thickness measures 15/32, or .468. I am currently shopping for one of these seals. ( I have an alternative that I don't like, a Federal Mogul 471750. I think I bought the FM 35 years ago because someone said it would work, but it's terrible: 1.250 ID x 1.983 OD x .250 thick... maybe two of them back to back might be a solution)
Hello vonheine, Thank you for your input. Given your original seal thickness of .468, that would mean the Snyder's seal with a thickness of .439 is .029 short (or slightly less that 1/32).

Your .250 thick seal would be .218 (or 7/32) short of original. That would probably allow the roller bearing too much end-play. If you use two of these seals, then the roller bearing sleeve might not seat properly.

Let us know what you end up doing please.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

My local bearing and seal suppliers have a seal that is .406 thick. I got it at Capeway Bearing in Plymouth Massachusetts. They always seem to find what I need for AA trucks. The.406 is not as thick as my original at.468, but I am not sure until I go to install it just how critical this dimension is. If I remember correctly, my drive shaft has a very faint groove from the oil seal. So, having a new seal riding in a slightly different location might be advantageous. There was a comment about the roller bearing having too much end play if the seal is not original thickness. (If that’s a problem, I will use the sheet metal end cap from a worn out drive shaft bearing as a spacer) The bearing cage caps are 1/16 thick. The OD and ID are already perfect for the space. The.406 plus the old bearing cap gives me my original thickness of.468.
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

Seal Photograph
Last edited by vonheine on October 31st, 2019, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 4:57 pm
My local bearing and seal suppliers have a seal that is .406 thick. I got it at Capeway Bearing in Plymouth Massachusetts. They always seem to find what I need for AA trucks. The.406 is not as thick as my original at.468, but I am not sure until I go to install it just how critical this dimension is. If I remember correctly, my drive shaft has a very faint groove from the oil seal. So, having a new seal riding in a slightly different location might be advantageous. There was a comment about the roller bearing having too much end play if the seal is not original thickness. (If that’s a problem, I will use the sheet metal end cap from a worn out drive shaft bearing as a spacer) The bearing cage caps are 1/16 thick. The OD and ID are already perfect for the space. The.406 plus the old bearing cap gives me my original thickness of.468.
Please indicate the cost of the seal you got. The Snyder's price is $24.50. Adding a old 1/16 roller bearing end cap between the seal and roller bearing seems like a good idea to eliminate any roller bearing end play. Maybe others will offer opinions? I received the photos you send and could not post. I am posting two of those photos for you below (shows new and old seals).
Attachments
IMG_9711.JPG
IMG_9711.JPG (118.33 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
IMG_9710.JPG
IMG_9710.JPG (158.6 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

Neill, Thank for your help The new seal is an SKF 12506. It’s.406 thick X 1.987 OD. It cost $8.97. It seems like a perfectly good oil seal made to today’s standards.