Clutch Heaven

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Clutch Heaven

Post by vonheine »

I finally achieved my goal. I have two perfect AA clutch disks with brand new woven Kevlar blend material mounted on original Ford disk frames. The modern material is full size in all dimensions. I have two perfect AA pressure plates one with brand new springs that are to Ford AA specifications, and one with original Ford AA springs because they were strong and achieved the correct AA truck clamping force.

I think this will be the best clutch ever installed in a AA truck. I am in clutch heaven.
FA219AA4-26E7-47A7-8AFE-CDAA735FDA4B.jpeg
FA219AA4-26E7-47A7-8AFE-CDAA735FDA4B.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6973 times
Attachments
8EB217BC-5FB7-4081-88A5-A3D978E0A95B.jpeg
8EB217BC-5FB7-4081-88A5-A3D978E0A95B.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 6973 times
28EF8A93-9F7E-43F0-BCBD-3708F0C6F1A1.jpeg
28EF8A93-9F7E-43F0-BCBD-3708F0C6F1A1.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6973 times
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Re: Clutch Heaven

Post by David R. »

Congratulations
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Thats engaging, would you be willing to share your source for the clutch disk material? I gave up trying to locate a disk with AA specs and installed the A model disk.
vonheine
Body Type: none

Post by vonheine »

The clutch face material came from ProTec Friction Supply, Mt Kisco NY. They have various types and grades of material. I chose their Thermofiber 2016 product which is a Kevlar blend. They have full Kevlar and really exotic stuff as well as the most basic run of the mill material. I wanted a full size disk to Ford’s original AA truck dimensions. Today, it’s very difficult to find a facing that is full size. The common off the shelf facing is too large in the ID and is not the same surface area per Ford’s specifications. Because I am using an original disk frame with no springs, I chose the Kevlar blend which should provide a smooth transitional engagement with excellent wear characteristics. In addition, the coefficient of friction when it is fully engaged is better than 1930s Ford Raybestos. The pressure plates and the rivet work were done by HR Clutch in Bensalem PA. They actually had 1930s Ford spring data and specifications for AA truck pressure plate springs. Most people believe the springs are the same as the car. This is incorrect, see page 126 of Ford Service Bulletins book. HR was able to measure the spring force on the plates and provide brand new springs where needed. 100% replacement on one plate and no replacement on the other. The clamping force on both plates is to Ford AA truck specifications. (perfect)
I didn’t want any compromise on my clutch. It’s a AA truck, not a car! I don’t want to spend hours rebuilding 4-speeds and ensuring all the truck gearing is restored only to install a weak link car clutch that would never allow its true truck characteristics to be demonstrated. It took me many months to get this to be what I really wanted, but now I am happy.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I am using the V8 clutch disc and pressure plate. Smoother and stronger.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

Chris Haynes wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm
I've heard good things about those V8 clutches, is any kind of a modification necessary to install one? I had a sedan with an original clutch plate, no doubt relined at some point, it was somewhat unforgiving, a little too responsive.
Thanks for sharing the information on the clutch, I'll be interested in your final results.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

AAholic wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 9:11 pm
Chris Haynes wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm
I've heard good things about those V8 clutches, is any kind of a modification necessary to install one? I had a sedan with an original clutch plate, no doubt relined at some point, it was somewhat unforgiving, a little too responsive.
Thanks for sharing the information on the clutch, I'll be interested in your final results.
The flywheel needs work as the V8 clutch doesn't bolt to the raised circle as the AA clutch does. Anyone with a big enough lathe or a mill can remove it and drill the new mounting holes.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

My truck had an A disc, I found an original AA disc but it will need re-lined. The pressure plate will need attention too as the fingers aren’t level and I suspect may need new springs. The surfaces on flywheel and plate look good except for some very tiny heat cracks. Hoping to find a local shop that can handle the work.
Vonheine, if you don’t mind me asking, what kind of $$ did you end up with in your clutch work.