Original AA colors

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Re: Original AA colors

Post by vonheine »

I make custom colors starting with Rustoleum alkyd enamels for all types of projects. (You should see how well these paints can be utilized on wood projects!) They mix well because they are all of the same family. They are fuel and oil resistant, but not fuel proof. They can be thinned with Acetone or Xylene. You have to get good flow-out when you spray them. What you see is what you get. Your pass has to look wet and glossy, but of course you don't want it to run. Run a few tests, you will get the feel for it in no time, and you will love it when you see how it can look. It can also be touched-up very easily. You can fix a drip or dead insect that was in the wrong place at the wrong time by letting the paint get hard, wet sanding the flaw, then recoat. (You also only want 2 to 4 thin wet glossy coats in total. You don't build it up like lacquer.)

Rock Moss Green is easy to make with Rustoleum Professional series enamel. The two off the shelf paints are: (gloss) Hunter Green, V7738502 and (gloss) Black, V7579502 (These are part numbers for quart size cans. The gallon part numbers are: 7738402 Hunter Green and 239078 Black)

The ratio is: 75% Hunter Green and 25% Black... mix them well in a separate container and you will have Ford Rock Moss Green enamel. (When you think you mixed them enough, mix them some more) The ratio is perfect to make a gallon of paint for about $50 bucks. Buy three quarts of HG and 1 quart of BLK and you are all set.

I have based this formula on the Ford Rock Moss Green paint chip in the antique Ford repaint manual. Having said that, 14 guys will give you 14 different opinions as to whether or not this is the exact shade of official Ford Rock Moss Green. I think it's spot-on, but you can adjust it to your own happiness by simply adding more black to make it darker or use less to make it lighter. I have duplicated the color several times using 75%-25%,or 3 parts Green to 1 part Black. I think it looks good... you be the judge.
Last edited by vonheine on October 20th, 2019, 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

It regard to paint prices, they are insane. However, professional series Rustolem alkyd enamel paints are much better than most people think. I have developed a formula for Rock Moss Green enamel using off the shelf Rustolem paints. I am working on Rock Moss Blue, Gun Metal Blue and others. If you want to shoot your truck with enamel.
[/quote]

Pictures please!
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

David R. wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm
It regard to paint prices, they are insane. However, professional series Rustolem alkyd enamel paints are much better than most people think. I have developed a formula for Rock Moss Green enamel using off the shelf Rustolem paints. I am working on Rock Moss Blue, Gun Metal Blue and others. If you want to shoot your truck with enamel.
Pictures please!
[/quote]

Please keep us informed..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

I don’t think photographs work for paint color samples, but by request here is my mix for Rock Moss Green against the PPG paint chip.
979BE629-1955-4E47-9CAE-02E2270047CD.png
979BE629-1955-4E47-9CAE-02E2270047CD.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Yup. your correct!! :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

If you have interest, I will mail you the card with the popsicle stick on it, or you can buy a quart of HG and BLK and mix according to the formula provided. (Then re-paint your wheel barrel or some other object that needs a coat of paint and then admire your Rock Moss Green paint job, LOL!)