Torque Tube – Internal Parts Spacing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI – After reviewing this subject, it has been determined that the total length of the internal parts at the front of the worm type axle torque tube has about 1/2" extra spacing between the speedometer driven gear and the retainer for that gear. I would guess that the same is true of the bevel type axle torque tube (not yet verified). The parts involved are:
  • AA-4686 drive shaft grease retainer
  • AA-4645-A drive shaft roller bearing
  • AA-17287 Washer (speedometer driving gear thrust) - starting 5/29
  • AA-17285-? Speedometer driven gear
This was the Ford design. A reason for this extra space has not been found in Ford documentation. This information is provided for AA’ers information.
Last edited by Neil Wilson on November 25th, 2019, 8:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Torque Tube Internal Parts

Post by KimVanOrder »

Thrust washer / spacer, on the worm side of the bearing? But not a 1/2"! Were there different 'vintage' parts? Some left over from the Model T. :?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Opps, I was thinking the wrong end of the tube.. Are there different parts for the different ends??
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

Neil, I remember wondering this same thing when I disassembled my worm drive torque tube. I think the extra clearance actually ended up being between the seal and the bearing sleeve. Remember that "button" impression on the bearing sleeve snaps into the hole in the wall of the torque tube during assembly, so this ends up locating the sleeve in the tube, not the seal. So you might try referencing your measurement from the hole in the tube. Building on this, is there a possibility that the original "AA-4686 Drive Shaft Grease Retainer" was actually a felt seal inside a "can" (similar to the worm gear grease retainer). This could have been thicker than a newer rubber lip seal?

My thoughts :)
Brian
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brian, The AA-4655 roller bearing sleeve acts as a retainer for the AA-4686 grease retainer (i.e. seal). There is basically no space between the seal and the rear of the sleeve (with the sleeve "button" snapped into the hole in the torque tube).
Last edited by Neil Wilson on November 25th, 2019, 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: none

xx

Post by vonheine »

Xx
Last edited by vonheine on November 8th, 2019, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

Neil, another thought...could it be that in reverse, the speedometer gear's forward motion is restrained by the u-joint?

Brian
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brian, The AA-17286 speedometer gear retainer stops the forward movement of the gear.
Last edited by Neil Wilson on November 25th, 2019, 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Here is a different way to look at this assembley of parts.

The AA-4686 seal (grease retainer) is installed from the front until it is pushed against the machined ridge in the torque tube.

The AA-4655 sleeve is installed in the torque tube until the sleeve "button" snaps into the torque tube hole. The sleeve acts as a stop for the seal.

The AA-4645-A roller bearing is installed inside of the sleeve. The bearing rests against the seal (so the seal acts as a stop for the bearing).

The AA-17285-x speedometer drive gear is installed. It can rest against the roller bearing.

The AA-17286 retainer is installed into the grove in the torque tube. This acts as a forward stop for the roller bearing and speedometer gear.

However, there is a .56" gap. Consequently, the roller bearing and speedometer gear can move forward .56"
Last edited by Neil Wilson on November 25th, 2019, 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

xxx

Post by Neil Wilson »

xxx
Last edited by Neil Wilson on November 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: none

Xx

Post by vonheine »

Xx
Last edited by vonheine on November 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 8:53 am
Here is a different way to look at this assemble of parts.

The AA-4686 seal (grease retainer) is installed from the front until it is pushed against the machined ridge in the torque tube.

The AA-4655 sleeve is installed in the torque tube until the sleeve "button" snaps into the torque tube hole. The sleeve acts as a stop for the seal.

The AA-4645-A roller bearing is installed inside of the sleeve. The bearing rests against the seal (so the seal acts as a stop for the bearing).

The AA-17285-x speedometer drive gear is installed. It can rest against the roller bearing.

The AA-17286 retainer is installed into the grove in the torque tube. This acts as a forward stop for the roller bearing and speedometer gear.

However, there is a .56" gap. Consequently, the roller bearing and speedometer gear can move forward .56"

This seems like too much forward movement. What say you?
Neil: I am thinking, dose it really matter??? Maybe .56" of slop is just fine! Is there a functional problem found any where? Ain't broke, don't fix it.. :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson

Re: Torque Tube – Internal Parts Spacing

Post by Neil Wilson »

Please note that after further research this thread has been updated to be informational rather than a question.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Neil, you forgot AA-17287 Washer (speedometer driving gear thrust). It goes between AA-17285 and AA-4645.

Bob
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob C wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 8:44 am
Neil, you forgot AA-17287 Washer (speedometer driving gear thrust). It goes between AA-17285 and AA-4645. Bob
Thanks Bob,
I updated my original post. The AA-17287 thrust washer first engineering drawing is 5/29 (looks to be an improvement). I am sure that using this washer for worm type axles prior to 5/29 would be a good idea when servicing these parts. Its OD is 1.97" and therefore would fit against the roller bearing sleeve.
Attachments
AA-17287-sdgtw-b.jpg
AA-17287-sdgtw-b.jpg (437.84 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
Regards, Neil Wilson