Drive Shaft Repair

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Drive Shaft Repair

Post by vonheine »

Drive Shaft Repair.jpg
Drive Shaft Repair.jpg (100.1 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
After degreasing and inspection, I realized my drive shaft is more severely worn than I originally thought. The original drive shaft seal, AA-4686, has worn a groove in the shaft. There are many different approaches to repair this shaft, but I am curious what others have done and how well their repair stood-up. (I cannot be the only one that has this problem)
A few possibilities include:
1) TIG welding the groove and re-machining to original size.
2) Filling the groove with metal epoxy filler such as Loctite, Devcon, metal epoxy filler or JB weld.
3) Doing nothing to the shaft and hoping that the new seal will work good enough to prevent leaks.
4) Try to get the new seal to work on a different location on the shaft by using any space in the torque tube to full advantage.
5) spray welding the shaft and re-machining to original size.
6) filling the groove with epoxy and then using a shaft repair sleeve to provide a new surface for the oil seal.
7) Other?

Does anyone have experience and recommendations on the best approach to fix this?

(Thank You)

Joseph
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Re: Drive Shaft Repair

Post by David R. »

Just thinking. On similar issues I have machined a sleeve to cover worn area; Loctite it on and used a seal with same OD and larger ID.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Done that for large commercial mixers where output shafts were worn. A lot cheaper than a new shaft.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I would use #4 or #6.

Bob