Finding reverse gear and floppy gear shift

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Finding reverse gear and floppy gear shift

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi all,

As described in my photo thread, I couldn't find reverse gear on my test drives. I now have the latch rod adjustment correct as per the service bulletins (it was only 1/16" off), and although it seems to be shifting the gear , I cannot get it to engage, I just get noise of gears grinding against each other. Not sure if it is related but my shift lever is really floppy and can move all over the place. There is a slot in the ball shaped piece that sits in the transmission tower - see photo- and am wondering if this is to limit movement but the only thing that would go in this slot is one of the screws that hold the ball cap in place. I tried putting a longer screw in but it just seemed to lock the lever up. Am I missing something here?
20191123_094149e.jpg
20191123_094149e.jpg (634.69 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
Any help appreciated!

Jeff
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Finding reverse gear and floppy gear shift

Post by Bob C »

Check out the Youtube video, I think there are seven short videos on the repair you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlsC9S ... 0cDoDpBOJh

Bob
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Bob - didn't even think of looking on YouTube , those videos are a big help. Someone must have modified my tower and replaced the pins with screws. I'll bore out and ream the holes oversize and make some new pins and see how that works. Would you know how long the drivers side pin should be - I'm thinking if it is too long there wont be enough movement and if too short, there would be too much? Seems like the length would be critical.

Jeff
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob C wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 1:04 pm
Check out the Youtube video, I think there are seven short videos on the repair you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlsC9S ... 0cDoDpBOJh Bob
Actually, the initial 4-speed shift tower (like shown in the video) didn't have a safety wire. And those special pins shown are not correct and they were not a press fit.

Original pins were headless with a grove toward the outside end (AA-7224 short pin and AA-7221 long pin). To install, the cap was compressed (by hand) and the special pins installed (by hand) with the slotted ends to the outside. When the pressure on the cap was released, the AA-7227 gear shift lever spring pushed up on the cap. The cap then fit into groves in the pins to hold the pins. There was a long and short pin. The long pin was inserted on the left side and therefore fit into the slot in the closed swivel ball of the shift lever.
Attachments
e06 f01.jpg
e06 f01.jpg (390.18 KiB) Viewed 10059 times
4-Speed Gear Shift Lever Assembly a2b2.jpg
4-Speed Gear Shift Lever Assembly a2b2.jpg (389.88 KiB) Viewed 10059 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Here is a photo of the 3/30 Ford parts list showing AA-7221 long pin and AA-7224 short pin.
Attachments
30-03-01 p79 crop1a q8.jpg
30-03-01 p79 crop1a q8.jpg (376.18 KiB) Viewed 10055 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Neil, good info, I saw those pins in the parts list but didn't know where they went!

Jeff
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

I machined up some pins and fitted them this morning and they have made a huge difference. All the gear positions are a lot easier to find and the lever movement is a lot more positive. Except that I still cannot get it to mesh in reverse. I am pretty sure I have the latch engaging OK and the gear is moving, otherwise I would not hear it trying to engage. It seemed to work OK when I tried it on the bench after rebuilding so I am totally mystified. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I don't mean to insult, but,,,, did it go together correctly?? Start over?? :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi Kim, I am pretty sure it did as it shifted into all gears on the bench. Not sure what you could get wrong assembling it anyway, as the parts can really only go in one way.

Jeff
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

So, it sounds like everything is moving OK, but rev. is just not moving enough. Time to play detective!!! Pop the top off and look it over. Slide it into reverse with the top off, then see if you can get the top on with it in rev. This may help to see what is or is not moving far enough. My guess is that something is in backwards. Either the fork that engages the gear, or the gear it self. Is the gear being held in the proper range?

Just some thoughts. But you know what!!! when you figure it out you'll be happy!!!! :? Maybe... Please keep us informed / entertained...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Kim, yes I've come to the conclusion I'll have to take the top off it and look inside. If I had a dollar for every time I've taken the floorboards off I'd be rich! It'll have to wait a couple of weeks but I'll let you know what I find.

Jeff
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Jeff Brown wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 6:33 pm
Thanks Kim, yes I've come to the conclusion I'll have to take the top off it and look inside. If I had a dollar for every time I've taken the floorboards off I'd be rich! It'll have to wait a couple of weeks but I'll let you know what I find.

Jeff
After a while,,,,,, you learn to leave them loose. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

One thing I've noticed is when cold the trans may be sticky to find reverse.
I usually give the engine a good rev up and it slides in no problem. After the trans lube is warmed up I have no trouble at all.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Farrell In Vancouver wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:11 am
One thing I've noticed is when cold the trans may be sticky to find reverse.
I usually give the engine a good rev up and it slides in no problem. After the trans lube is warmed up I have no trouble at all.
Now that is interesting! I wonder how many other 'issues' are related to such a phenomenon.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Come to think of it, I just had it idling for a few minutes when I tried it. I'll give it another shot before I pull the top off!

Thanks

Jeff