POWER STEERING

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
xelhan
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1930

POWER STEERING

Post by xelhan »

Hello,

I use my AA as a daily driver and would like to add power steering, especially when in town parking in tight spots. I'm looking for a steering box that will fit reasonably well in the STD location. I have done a search of the forum, but could not find anything.

Any information or input would be appreciated.

Chris
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: POWER STEERING

Post by Bob C »

xelhan

Post by xelhan »

Thank you Bob!
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

Find a '73 Chevy power steering unit. These have a valve operated by the steering arm which activates the steering ram. You need to make a bracket for the pump and line it up with the water pump/fanbelt. You need to modify the linkage between the steering arm and the front spindle. Bolt the ram to the rod connecting the front wheels.

ron
xelhan

Post by xelhan »

Interesting Ron,

Have you done this conversion or seen it being made? Do you have some pictures? I guess the steering box have to be turned 90 deg. so the pitman shaft will point sideways.

You suggest a '73 Chevy PS unit, but are they not about the same way up into the 90's?

Chris
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The Restorer had an article on power steering. "Power steering for Model A," photo, Jan-Feb 1963 (7-5) p 3
Ford had a system similar to what 1wonton described in the 50's and 60's.
powersteering.jpg
powersteering.jpg (166.23 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
xelhan

Post by xelhan »

Wow, what a fabulous response from all of you :)

My AA is fully restored and the steering box and all suspension and steering components are rebuilt. When I jack it up, I can turn (not rotate)(yes that too) the front wheels easily and the steering wheel spins. It's definitely lubricated, so there are no problems with the truck being old and stuck.

I have desided to install a F100 steering box. The worm and roller type will give less friction and 18:1 ratio over 15:1(I hope those numbers are correct) will probably be enough to make me happy. If not, I will instal an electric PS under the dash later.

Again, thank you all!