FAQ for AA dummies?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
toshik
Model Year: 1930

FAQ for AA dummies?

Post by toshik »

Thank your for allowing me to be at your nice and friendy place!
I look all over the web including u-tube and did not find some basic FAQ for 1930 model AA pickup truck.
From what I see I like more later (1929+) pickup version with 4-speed transmission, steel rims and single wheels in the rear.
I am thinking about getting one sadly I don't have a large garage and tools to do rebuild so will have to opt for partially restored drivable one.

There are still many questions I have so if I may go ahead:
- Do I need to use some special gasoline and oil 90 years later?
- Is driving AA in any different from today's MT-4 car?
- Is the cabin ok to fit 6-2 height driver?
- would it fit today's standard house garage?
- Paperwork-wise I understand there was no VIN back then, just the engine ID - what do I need to get it registered in FL?
- Are there any owners in St. Augustine, FL area to get a feel of the real car?
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Re: FAQ for AA dummies?

Post by David R. »

Get the book, “Ford Model A/AA Truck Owner” by A. G. McMillan. It has everything you need to know. There are drawings giving dimensions and lots of information. The cabs aren’t real roomy. You might want to see one in person for that. I have my AA project in a standard size single car garage 15’ x 24’ with a 7’ x 9’ door. I don’t have a lot of work space but it is working out. The chassis rolls easily and I can move it in and out of the garage by myself. I pulled the engine new years day and have it on a stand for disassembly. My big problem is finding room to store parts until time for reassembly.
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by Cschaff63 »

If you are expecting an AA truck that will drive like a modern 4 speed, you will be seriously disappointed. Also, be prepared to tinker with it every time you want to drive it, it needs constant oil and grease checks. They are definitely a truck that you drive, you don,t just get in it and go, there are timing adjustments to start it and then adjust as you drive also. They can be fun if you are ok slowing down a bit in life when you do drive it! You will definitely be the leader of the parade when you drive it!
toshik

Post by toshik »

Thank you guys! The book was purchased. I ment it's the same 3 pedals and stick like we have today? :-)
gad62
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by gad62 »

Hello, my AA is a 29... they run the same gas as newer trucks and yes the pedals are the same as modern cars, but the brakes on an AA dont work like modern cars. Im 6'2" and 280 and after moving the seat up and around i can drive my truck with some comfort!!
Top speed on an AA is about 30 to 35 mph so dont aim to go anywhere in a hurry!!
Fitting it in a regular garage shouldnt be a problem, i have a 28x28 and have 2 AA's and a tractor in there with room to move around.
There is no vin # but there are serial numbers on the engine block and "sometimes" on the frame rail under the front cab mount....although finding one with all the numbers matching. Will be rare....
hope i answered your questions....i love my AA but if you dont like attention dont get one because these old trucks draw a crowd wherever you take them!! Good luck, Greg
toshik

Post by toshik »

Thank you guys!
Is it true that old cars did not have effective oil gaskets especially front crankshaft and rear engine seals and were dipping oil (oil under the car ment it's safe to go since there is some inside)?
Also from what I understand trucks had 3 and 4 speed tranny while model A passenger only had 3 speed what would be the reason for that?
rrich1
Model Year: 1931

Post by rrich1 »

Im 6'1" and 220 and and am on the upper level of fitting in an AA cab. Mine is a '31. I can drive it just fine for the little that I have driven it so far.

I recently purchased my truck back from the previous owner who got it from my grandpa so I am still learning about the AA truck. When you are younger you dont worry about all the stuff you want to know now! I believe the reasoning was for gearing. These trucks are meant to work and haul. The lower or higher gearing depending on how you think about it is to get the truck and its contents moving.
toshik

Post by toshik »

David R. wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 4:57 am
Get the book, “Ford Model A/AA Truck Owner” by A. G. McMillan.
Quick report - got the book, well, it's more of a flyer about "how great Ford was in 1930", not a technical type of book :-( Tons of interesting historical reprints with hardly any hands-on info. I should admit, they have a good point there, since Ford was the only one out of Big Three which did not file chapter 11 a few years ago :-)
Anyway I purchased "Model A Ford restoration handbook" even though it's for passenger cars, it has tons of actual info in it! So it's time to search for a vehicle for me.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Toshik, if you are shopping for the right truck to use, try for the four speed with the High speed rear end. It will get up to 45 mph pretty quickly and almost 50 on the down hill. I had to alter my seats to fit and I am 6'2" and 236 Lbs. Use my truck every chance I get hauling what ever, where ever. just love it.
Brakes are more than up to it if properly repaired and other than regular maintenance are no more trouble to service. The drive line components are bigger and heavier than the Model A's so some thought must go into moving those around alone.
My AA fits in the garage no problem but the racks barely clear the opening height of the door.
Good luck in your hunt!
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Sorry you were disappointed in the book I recommend. Your initial post suggested you were interested in physical dimensions and general data about the AA truck with which the book is replete. I found it fascinating. I just received a copy of the reprinted service bulletins today. This will be valuable to me.
toshik

Post by toshik »

BTW truck book has a very touching 37 years old inscription in it.
Attachments
FordBook 001.jpg
FordBook 001.jpg (236.71 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Quick report - got the book, well, it's more of a flyer about "how great Ford was in 1930", not a technical type of book :-( Tons of interesting historical reprints with hardly any hands-on info. I should admit, they have a good point there, since Ford was the only one out of Big Three which did not file chapter 11 a few years ago :-)
Anyway I purchased "Model A Ford restoration handbook" even though it's for passenger cars, it has tons of actual info in it! So it's time to search for a vehicle for me.
[/quote]

Try looking at https://aafords.com/ for information about AA Fords.
Regards, Neil Wilson
toshik

Post by toshik »

toshik wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:57 pm
Is it true that old cars did not have effective oil gaskets especially front crankshaft and rear engine seals and were dipping oil (oil under the car ment it's safe to go since there is some inside)?
I'm back to my question - did Ford use any efficient seals back then? I remember being to museum and restored A and AA had large pans under the engines for oil collection. Here are some pics.
Attachments
20160225_164429.jpg
20160225_164429.jpg (234.86 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
20160225_163029.jpg
20160225_163029.jpg (242.04 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I'm back to my question - did Ford use any efficient seals back then? I remember being to museum and restored A and AA had large pans under the engines for oil collection. Here are some pics.
I guess that you don't understand the the Model A engine is designed to leak.
toshik

Post by toshik »

Straight to the point! This is why I started this thread :x