Wing nut for top bracket hold down

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

Wing nut for top bracket hold down

Post by Matt »

I have a 1929 open cab AA, I need to know if the wing nut that screws into the hold down is chrome or painted.

Thanks,
Matt
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Re: Wing nut for top bracket hold down

Post by Hayslip »

There is a factory photo of a 76B open cab on the club web sight. Everything seems to be black. I realize it's a different cab, but this is a TRUCK. Ford didn't go crazy over details such as this. My advise: unless there is a judging standard for this item , save your money and keep it black or unpainted.
Hayslip
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 5:57 am
There is a factory photo of a 76B open cab on the club web sight. Everything seems to be black. I realize it's a different cab, but this is a TRUCK. Ford didn't go crazy over details such as this. My advise: unless there is a judging standard for this item , save your money and keep it black or unpainted.
I zoomed in on the original 29.1 MB original of that photo. The referenced winged screw (not nut) appears dark. So, most likely it was painted black. I am guessing the vendors are selling chrome plated winged screws. So, for originally, the repro part would need to be blasted/painted. And, yes, this is a 76-B open cab.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Matt »

Thank you for your input, I'm trying to build a fine point AA and sometimes the reproduction parts are not the right finish for a truck.

Matt
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Muratic acid / water mix at 50% solution will remove the chrome plating very quickly. I use this mixture to take the plating off of nuts, bolts, washers etc... to make them more easily painted.
------------
Dave
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks, I will try that.
Matt