Toe in/out

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Toe in/out

Post by vtwinsideways »

Long time no write! Hello again fellas! Finally got Dad's Ole Girl ('29 131" stake) driving and we have a little trouble with the steering. Dad says it's all over the road. Gearbox is rebuilt and tight (but not too tight), tie rod ends & drag link ends rebuilt, new kingpins. Everything is tidy, but I asked what the toe out/in was on it and he didn't know, so I checked and the front measures 50 3/4" at the rim and the rear is 51 1/2" so it's got some significant toe-in. It's been 12 years since I rebuilt my Model A pickup but it seems like I recall it had toe-out not in. What is the AA supposed to be? Thanks for your time. Luke McLeod
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Re: Toe in/out

Post by 1crosscut »

Welcome back.
Shoot for 1/8" toe in.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Yup, 1/8" toe in, not out..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Thanks! He had the steering column nearly out when I got there. He was sure it needed adjustment. Put it on the bench and sure enough the newly rebuilt column was still well adjusted. That's when I started measuring and found the toe in situation and sought your help. We got her at 1/8 in at the front and almost back together before the weather came rolling in. Oh well, maybe another test drive tomorrow. Thanks again. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I set mine at 3/32”. I was getting two answers from manuals, one said 1/8” one said 1/16” so I split the difference. Jim Schild said that will work.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

David R. wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:50 pm
I set mine at 3/32”. I was getting two answers from manuals, one said 1/8” one said 1/16” so I split the difference. Jim Schild said that will work.
Or are you supposed to add them together, then divide by two?? Math!! I hate it.. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA