Height of the bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ModelAAfreddie
Body Type: Flatbed
Model Year: 1928

Height of the bed

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Hello.....long time listener...first time caller....:

82a cab, 88a platform bed, 1928,......what is the height of the floor of the bed from the ground at the back?

If and when I try to build stake sid3s for my truck, I’m thinking I want the sides to double as an interlocking wide ramp to load wheeled items such as a motorcycle into the bed. I understand that wouldn’t be standard for the truck, but it would certainly be useful. And I’m curious just how high , and therefore how steep, such a ramp would be.

Thanks in a advance. Gene. Niles CA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Height of the bed

Post by 1crosscut »

It is right at 44 1/2"
------------
Dave
ModelAAfreddie

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Thank you for the response....wow...that is pretty high for a ramp up to the bed. Anyone have any suggestions, observations, etc regarding loading a wheeled item such as a motorcycle, golf cart etc onto the flat bed.?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Make a slide out " bed" aka ramp the full length of the bed. I have seen some pick up truck 'slide outs' . but not used as ramps. Or mount the bed as low as possible. Can the springs be reworked for a lower ride also? And or, telescoping ramps, so they get really long. I do like the idea of a tilt bed. Tilt and roll back.

Good luck, keep us posted...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
ModelAAfreddie

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

IN my head, I see making a solid strong stake rack for each side of the bed. The weight would be prohibitive, however, so maybe each side be made as two pieces, with a sliding iron strap Connector between the two pieces on each side. When you want to use the ramp, you would put the two pieces together at the back, with attachment at top that would insert into the holes that the back side racks fit into. You would do same for other side rank, lying it side by side, so it’s wide. You would have a sliding iron strap crossways between the sides, one connecting top halves, Nd another connecting bottom halves. That would give you a ramp that would be as long As the bed, approximately eight feet long, and also approximately 56 inches wide.
This obviously would not be standard by judging purposes, but I think, from what I see in my head anyways, would look nice, ANd be doubly functional.

Can others see this? Does this make sense at all? Anyone got. Better idea for me? Thanks...gene....Niles CA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I think your on something!! build up a prototype and check for functionality. If you use aluminum tube stakes (painted black) and have smaller tube to slide thru to tie them together, I could see that working well. Trick will be to keep as light as possible. I'd like to see pictures as you go along. Now were to find alum. tube for free?? Scrap yard?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Oh! My '28 is about that height also...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
ModelAAfreddie

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

I’ll keep you posted. I’m a diy’er, not mechanical, not a carpenter, but I do do a lot of stuff for myself, and figure it all out, and I don’t do too bad if I say so myself! I’m actually a nurse. Have been for 34 years, am getting tired, aNd just want to work with my hands.
I’m looking forward to figuring out how ex@ctly to make this work, and look good at same time.

I. Sure what I see in my head will work...I just have to take T5e idea and move it from my head to reality!
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Carry an aluminum motorcycle ramp with you
ModelAAfreddie

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Carry a ramp with me? Hmm. The idea is utilize the truck itself. Utilize the stake racks. Innovative.
I had thought of using a motorcycle ramp for taking a motorcycle up onto the bed, just wanting to be a little different.