Draining Coolant

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Draining Coolant

Post by dlevy »

Hi,

When I remove the lower radiator hose from the engine, will it pretty much drain all the coolant out or will there be some amount remaining?

I am going to fill it up with Evan antifreeze and need to get the water out first.

Thanks,
Dave
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Draining Coolant

Post by 1crosscut »

The vast majority of it will come out.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

That should do it. If your going to add antifreeze , you can test the antifreeze afterward to be sure you got the correct ratio.. But!! take the oppertunity to flush the system out really good. Fill, run, drain, repeat. May as well get it as clean as possible now..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

dlevy wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Hi, When I remove the lower radiator hose from the engine, will it pretty much drain all the coolant out or will there be some amount remaining? I am going to fill it up with Evan antifreeze and need to get the water out first. Thanks, Dave
Dave, FYI - There is a valve in the lower radiator return pipe to drain the coolant. You don't need to remove any hose.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by dlevy »

Thank you.

My engine is just rebuilt, but test run for a couple of hours with water.

The Evans antifreeze I am going to use is a "waterless coolant". It has better heat transfer and no corrosion. I just need to make sure all the water is out before I put this product in.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Also, a couple people have told me that the radiator hoses should be black not red. According to Snyder's, red was used, just not as often. Any opinion on that?

Thanks for the help!

Dave
Attachments
IMG_1612.JPEG
IMG_1612.JPEG (1009.56 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

dlevy wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Thank you. My engine is just rebuilt, but test run for a couple of hours with water.
The Evans antifreeze I am going to use is a "waterless coolant". It has better heat transfer and no corrosion. I just need to make sure all the water is out before I put this product in. https://www.evanscoolant.com/
Also, a couple people have told me that the radiator hoses should be black not red. According to Snyder's, red was used, just not as often. Any opinion on that? Thanks for the help! Dave
Given you situation, you have a unique requirement. You will need to determine how to remove 100% of your current water coolant. You may want to post what your process ends up being.

Sorry, I have not researched radiator hoses (A-chassis parts). I suggest that you refer to the RGJS page 3-4 regarding radiator hoses as an official source of information. Vendors and "other people's" opinions may or may not agree with this information.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

dlevy wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Thank you.

My engine is just rebuilt, but test run for a couple of hours with water.

The Evans antifreeze I am going to use is a "waterless coolant". It has better heat transfer and no corrosion. I just need to make sure all the water is out before I put this product in.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Also, a couple people have told me that the radiator hoses should be black not red. According to Snyder's, red was used, just not as often. Any opinion on that?

Thanks for the help!

Dave
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Here is what i would do. Take the hoses off and hook a shop Vac on the bottom one and let it run for a long time. This would force air through and there for dry it out. You could even put a hair dryer in the top so warm air is drawn through. Drying it out faster. How to know when it is totally dry?? Don't know. Got a trained mouse?? :lol: Let it run for hours! and Hours, just to be sure... Start the engine? how gutsy are you? That would get it hot and boil out anything, but, its a brand new rebuild. ( don't do that). I'd vac and vac with the drier... Good luck.. is there any info on how much water the new coolant will tolerate? Anyone know how much water would be left in the engine is just drained? Got a spare block laying around? do a test and let us all know...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Just looked at the web sight. Your supposed to use the "prep fluid" before installation.. :shock:

Still something else to buy..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Evans Prep Fluid is a waterless cooling system flush engineered specifically to purge the cooling system of water-based antifreeze after draining and before installing new waterless coolant. Prep Fluid should be used when block drains are unavailable or cannot be removed. It is not a substitute for thoroughly draining the cooling system and related components. Prep Fluid is NOT intended to be a stand-alone operating coolant, but as a flush only.

Engine Types
For use with all engines being converted to any Evans waterless coolant, after draining 50-50 coolant from the cooling system.

Usage
Evans Prep Fluid is ready to use—no water required.

Hygroscopically absorbs water
Ensures all residual water is removed from the system
Ensures that Evans coolants will meet the water content limits and provide peak performance
Protects cooling system metals during flush
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Oh! I like the red. It looks cool. you can always change latter if you get a lot of flack.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
dlevy

Post by dlevy »

Thanks KVO.

The Judging Standards, as Neil reminded me of, state hoses are Red or Black with a Red stripe so I am going to keep the red (adds some contrast!).

I had tried the shop vacuum on the lower and at the same time compressed air in the top and no water came out. It might be dry since it has been a while, but didn't know if the coolant galleys went below the lower radiator fitting.

I will pour in a quart of the Evans prep solution just to be sure.

Thanks,
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

dlevy wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Thanks KVO.

The Judging Standards, as Neil reminded me of, state hoses are Red or Black with a Red stripe so I am going to keep the red (adds some contrast!).

I had tried the shop vacuum on the lower and at the same time compressed air in the top and no water came out. It might be dry since it has been a while, but didn't know if the coolant galleys went below the lower radiator fitting.

I will pour in a quart of the Evans prep solution just to be sure.

Thanks,
Dave
I think you should try the trained Mouse idea. :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Just got this ...

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your inquiry! You can have up to 5% water content in the system.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Emilia Teta
Manager, Marketing & Sales Support
T 860.668.1114
www.evanscooling.com
Your good to go..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Evans doesn't recommend using their coolant on systems that are not sealed.