Transmission questions!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mailtruck
Body Type: mail truck
Model Year: 1931

Transmission questions!

Post by mailtruck »

Greetings~
I'm happy to be new member!
I have a 1931 AA mail delivery truck and have some basic questions.
First, It's a 3 speed. Can someone tell me what the capacity of the transmission and rear end are. Thanks!
The next is a mystery! How could water get in the transmission? When you stick your finger in the filler hole the 600w comes out like cream in coffee. I've put quite a bit of thought into it and the only thing I can come up with is hosing it out on a rare wash-up. Still, it seems hard to imagine that much water could get in through the shifting tower. Ideas??
Then, Draining and replacing the lube - I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm not sure I need to go to the extreme and blast it out with break clean etc. I'm thinking maybe drain, fill with 30w non-detergent, run a mile or two, drain and add the 600w...? Suggestions??

As a note - 2 years from now will mark 65 years since I bought this AA truck and still lov'in it!
Thanks for your input!
Steve
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Transmission questions!

Post by KimVanOrder »

My '28 stake truck is a 3 speed, with a 1 1/2 ton rating. As far as cleaning the tranny, I'd start with gasoline flush, then do the 30 wt. , run it a bit, then regular gear lube. Run that then switch to 600 W . As far as how the water got in there? Gremlins!!! :lol:

Good luck and keep us updated...

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

mailtruck wrote:
May 13th, 2021, 1:50 pm

I have a 1931 AA mail delivery truck and have some basic questions.
First, It's a 3 speed.

As a note - 2 years from now will mark 65 years since I bought this AA truck and still lov'in it!
Thanks for your input!
Steve
Hello Steve,
Ford only built the AA with a 4-speed transmission in late 1929 and 1930-1931. You should post some pictures of your vehicle. Hopefully someone can identify what it is.

Note that the 1928 through August 1929 AA's came with the A-chassis 3-speed transmission.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by mailtruck »

Thanks Neil,
Yes, you're right, it's 4 speed. It's a 1931 AA mail truck. US mail was branded on the back side of the tires when I got it. I'll try and some photos up.

That's sounds good Kim but I'm concerned that I'll get bits of metal and other bad things in the bearings. It was suggested I dilute the oil with kerosene, run it, and then change out to 600W. Wud ya think??
Any other ideas?
Has anyone had water in the transmission or any idea how that might happen?

Thanks for your responses!

I
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

mailtruck wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 6:33 pm
Thanks Neil,
Yes, you're right, it's 4 speed. It's a 1931 AA mail truck. US mail was branded on the back side of the tires when I got it. I'll try and some photos up.

That's sounds good Kim but I'm concerned that I'll get bits of metal and other bad things in the bearings. It was suggested I dilute the oil with kerosene, run it, and then change out to 600W. Wud ya think??
Any other ideas?
Has anyone had water in the transmission or any idea how that might happen?

Thanks for your responses!

All depends on just how clean you want it. I'd want all the metal chips and other bad things out. Flush with gas a couple of times, rotating the gears with no or very little load, 'not a long drive' , then start with the oil flush and then end with the good stuff.

Can't be too clean...

KVO

I
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
mailtruck

Post by mailtruck »

Thanks Neil. I agree and will do.
I gunk'ed the trans.and bell housing for painting and blasted it with water last year; that must be how the water ended up on the trans.
I'll try and get a photo of the truck up here - everybody love photos - me especially.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

If you've checked the levels of the transmission and the rear end and they are both near full then drain and measure what came out. Order twice the amount needed, fill them both back up with new 600 wt. Drive it for 20 or more miles, pull the plugs and let them drain for a couple of days.
Refill and go.
------------
Dave
mailtruck

Post by mailtruck »

Hi Dave, that makes sense too.
Took a sample this morning and was surprised how thin it was. The last time it was filled it was fresh 600w. Yet another question mark.
On the bright side it will be easier to drain. I don't think any damage has been done. It was rebuilt about 15 years ago and not so many miles put on since then.