29 Closed Cab Roof Trim and Rain Gutter

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Flaschman13
Body Type: Dunno
Model Year: 1929

29 Closed Cab Roof Trim and Rain Gutter

Post by Flaschman13 »

We have a new cobra replacement in place on the roof. Wood came from North Carolina and there is a small tack piece of wood with countersunk screw holes that we are verifying the placement of as well as the accuracy of the rain gutter. There is a pocket in the roof wood that looks to be a place to put the strip, but, that seam of the two pieces of wood may create difficulties placing the welting and the hidem welt.

1. Does the wood go in the pocket in the main roof lumber?
2. Does the rain gutter go above the door on this model or should it be left off?
3. What configuration do I need for the starting/stopping the hidem and all of the components around the edge of the roof to trim it off.

Attached are some photos of the parts in question to assist the viewing of the area.

I see a few comments on the board on perhaps needing more than just the supplied hidem around the roof as well.

Just reaching out to get the consensus and clear direction from those who have been at this cross road before.
Attachments
under roof wood door span-sm.jpg
under roof wood door span-sm.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
under roof door span-sm.jpg
under roof door span-sm.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
rain gutter door span-sm.jpg
rain gutter door span-sm.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
Lewisag1
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

Re: 29 Closed Cab Roof Trim and Rain Gutter

Post by Lewisag1 »

The wood strip is to go on the underside of the side roof wood runner with a bead used to seal the top of the door. The cobra vinyl cover is trimmed out with a trim strip that is nailed to secure the top. The rain gutters go over the top of the trim strip. I’ll post some pictures of what my cab looked like as I was disassembling those items. I don’t have a real good shot of the wood pieces with the countersunk holes that hold the top of door weather strip bead but hopefully this will put you in the right direction. Hope this helps.
Attachments
100B184B-271D-4BF8-BBF5-C47B222C6D27.jpeg
100B184B-271D-4BF8-BBF5-C47B222C6D27.jpeg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
19076A58-96CE-4BFB-A9EC-13295728215E.jpeg
19076A58-96CE-4BFB-A9EC-13295728215E.jpeg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
3C0A2A4D-93AF-4BAD-929E-183D05298D63.jpeg
3C0A2A4D-93AF-4BAD-929E-183D05298D63.jpeg (110.23 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
802ED647-2BA1-45C4-AA5B-84156F328BD9.jpeg
802ED647-2BA1-45C4-AA5B-84156F328BD9.jpeg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
EE06B042-1AF3-45A3-8B73-84B5F482BF76.jpeg
EE06B042-1AF3-45A3-8B73-84B5F482BF76.jpeg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
Lewisag1

Post by Lewisag1 »

Another picture of the wood trim piece over the door with weather strip bead.
Attachments
191FAEC3-8227-4050-B85B-BEA02E83254D.jpeg
191FAEC3-8227-4050-B85B-BEA02E83254D.jpeg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

Here's a good photo of the rear of the rain gutter. This isn't my truck...someone else provided me this picture. As you can see, the finish strip is longer than the gutter and is nailed over the top of the hidem.

82a-401.jpg
82a-401.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rumbler wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 8:24 am
Here's a good photo of the rear of the rain gutter. This isn't my truck...someone else provided me this picture. As you can see, the finish strip is longer than the gutter and is nailed over the top of the hidem.
Note that the welt shown in the photo is installed too high. It should have covered the nail heads (quarter panel to roof side rail nails).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Flaschman13 wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 5:08 am
We have a new cobra replacement in place on the roof. Wood came from North Carolina and there is a small tack piece of wood with countersunk screw holes that we are verifying the placement of as well as the accuracy of the rain gutter. There is a pocket in the roof wood that looks to be a place to put the strip, but, that seam of the two pieces of wood may create difficulties placing the welting and the hidem welt.

1. Does the wood go in the pocket in the main roof lumber?
2. Does the rain gutter go above the door on this model or should it be left off?
3. What configuration do I need for the starting/stopping the hidem and all of the components around the edge of the roof to trim it off.

Attached are some photos of the parts in question to assist the viewing of the area.

I see a few comments on the board on perhaps needing more than just the supplied hidem around the roof as well.

Just reaching out to get the consensus and clear direction from those who have been at this cross road before.
Flaschman13,
There should not be a "pocket" in the roof side rail. The wood strips are windlace retainers (they attach to the bottom inside edge of the roof side rails with flat head wood screws). The tail of the door header windlace is sandwiched between the retainer and the roof side rail. See the attached photo.

The shinny material above the roof ribs should not be there. The first item above the roof ribs is a piece of black cloth (I can't remember the name).

You are missing the welt which should be installed onto the parameter of the roof wood before anything else.

There is a set of photos at https://app.box.com/s/k29wtbqvf36ml4hdqjivdjlgwd3jo9c6. There are 66 photos (i.e. multiple pages). Many of the photos show details of the top (being removed and being installed - including the welt, hidem, and rain gutters.
Attachments
82-A-dhw-50-q8.jpg
82-A-dhw-50-q8.jpg (184.43 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Lewisag1 »

Great pictures Neil.....thanks for sharing!
Flaschman13

Post by Flaschman13 »

Thanks fellas.

So Neil I was to install a welt under the perimeter of the roof wood before stretching the roof covering over the wood and materials proper?

So it also looks like the pocket is not to be in the arms from the read to the front. Awesome. I was led to an inferior material provider for roof wood in North Carolina.

Here's another question, "How do you correctly place the tear drop piece of wood on the pillars for the door to close against?" I think I can place it, but according to some of my original photos of the roof parts, I can always use a hand before we mount it "X" times and replace it.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Flaschman13 wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 11:42 am
Thanks fellas.

So Neil I was to install a welt under the perimeter of the roof wood before stretching the roof covering over the wood and materials proper?

So it also looks like the pocket is not to be in the arms from the read to the front. Awesome. I was led to an inferior material provider for roof wood in North Carolina.

Here's another question, "How do you correctly place the tear drop piece of wood on the pillars for the door to close against?" I think I can place it, but according to some of my original photos of the roof parts, I can always use a hand before we mount it "X" times and replace it.
Flaschman13, I am guessing you didn't look/study the photos I gave as a link. The welt is installed to the side of the wood (not under it). If the cover is not yet installed, then you can still install the welt.

Provide a photo showing the "pocket" you are talking about.

Don't install the dove tail boards (you call "tear drop pieces") until you have the doors aligned correctly. Once that is done, then the dove tail locations can be determined which in-turn will determine the locations of the dove tail boards.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Flaschman13 »

The pocket I spoke about is in the 2nd photo as the tape rests in it. Looking at other photos in the post it appears to be a recess along the outer edge of the wood that appears normal. That is a relief. Now I will have to find the correct edge bead and rain gutter since the rain gutter cover is the exact same length as the gutter itself with no end holes to nail down as some photos show. I have hidem welting. Taking up the roof covering is a task I do not relish or look forward to, to place the edge bead welt unner with this new information.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Flaschman13 wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 4:35 am
The pocket I spoke about is in the 2nd photo as the tape rests in it. Looking at other photos in the post it appears to be a recess along the outer edge of the wood that appears normal. That is a relief. Now I will have to find the correct edge bead and rain gutter since the rain gutter cover is the exact same length as the gutter itself with no end holes to nail down as some photos show. I have hidem welting. Taking up the roof covering is a task I do not relish or look forward to, to place the edge bead welt unner with this new information.
The attached photo shows the installation of the welt installed at the rear-left corner (I don't know the Ford name for this part and don't see it listed in the Ford Body Parts List). The welt is like fender welt but original welt I have seen has a smaller core. This welt will show below the roof drip moldings as shown in the attached photos.

The roof drip mouldings and finish strips are parts #38954 and #38956 (AA and A prefix depending on date of listing). The name for this combination of parts is different in vendor listings. Vendor claim of "Exact copy of the steel rain gutter used on the 28-9 Closed Cab Trucks" is BS. But this is the only thing available currently. Many folks search for the original design finish strips. So, you will most likely not find originals and I would guess they would not fit reproduction drip mouldings anyway.

Ford used A-37627 Roof Binding (front and rear). The drip mouldings covered the binding ends. Binding is named hidem today.
Attachments
82a-08.jpg
82a-08.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
82a-19.jpg
82a-19.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
Regards, Neil Wilson