leaf spring restoration

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

leaf spring restoration

Post by wild4679 »

I"m contemplating simply rebushing and repainting the front and rear leaf springs, and not disassembling them and reassembling them.

Besides discovering a broken leaf, what improvements can I make by going to the trouble of disassembling, polishing, and reassembling the springs?

I have a 31 131" with a gravel box.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: leaf spring restoration

Post by Chris Haynes »

That is painting, not restoring. I took my springs to a truck suspension shop and had them re arched.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by wild4679 »

Thanks for your reply, Chris. What is gained by spring restoration? Does it improve the ride? As a practical matter, I don't envision loading this AA with enough weight to challenge the suspension.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I was only going on the word restoration which means to return to the condition when new.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

wild4679 wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 7:50 am
Thanks for your reply, Chris. What is gained by spring restoration? Does it improve the ride? As a practical matter, I don't envision loading this AA with enough weight to challenge the suspension.
if all the springs are apart, sandblasted to remove all rust, painted, then some graphite slip plate or heavy graphite grease is applied between each leaf it will give the best possible ride they can. Also remove the edges of the leafs where they dug into the one below it helps too.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

My advice is to take them apart and do as Stakebed said. May as well do it correctly now rather than latter..

BTW, you can re-arch them yourself..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I took two front springs apart and picked best leaves from both and re-arched them and ground out all the wear divots and softened raw edges where they rub together on grinder. Cleaned and painted with Slip Plate graphite paint and reassembled with new bushings and hardware.
I had a broken main leaf on right rear. Found another pair of rear springs.
I did same on rear springs as front but didn’t attempt re-arching because they were very close to original dimensions. Local shop made new clips (U-bolts). I also removed pivot brackets, welded up wear and re-machined. Just finished riveting them back and reassembly of springs. All bushings and worn pins etc.,. Replaced. I DO plan to load this truck when done occasionally. It will be a working truck.