Need PTO for 1928 AA with 3-speed/2-speed set up

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Need PTO for 1928 AA with 3-speed/2-speed set up

Post by TruckMan »

I have a 1928 AA (AR) Ford Dump Truck with steel spoke wheels. It has the 3 speed/2 speed auxiliary set up. What it does not have is the PTO that fits. I have the one that fits the 4-speed used in 30-31. In fact I have two of them. Any idea where I can get the correct one?

Also, my 7’ long by 6’ wide dump body is without tail gate and latch parts. Could use help on that too.

I started this truck in 1976 when I was 15. I bought a cut down doodle bug for $35. Took two more partial trucks and trips to every local junk yard to build it into a “real” truck. That was back when junk yards still had Model A & AA parts in the back acreage. Bought the dump body about 14 years ago buried in the snow at a salvage yard. At first I mounted it direct like an express box. I bought a dump mechanism about 5 years ago but the guy stuck me with the same wrong PTO that I already had (hence the two PTO’s). So I have all I need to dump the body except the PTO made for a 1928/29 2-speed auxiliary.
TruckMan
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Need PTO for 1928 AA with 3-speed/2-speed set up

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello TruckMan,
I have only seen two PTO which fit the Ford sold dual high. There is one on my Feb. '28 AA and there is one in Manhattan, KS. Hopefully someone will respond to your ad. It is a four bolt PTO.

There were several dump body suppliers and each would have a different tail gate. If you can provide some pictures of your body (and even the manufacture), someone might have one and be able to help.

I have an Anthony dump. Attached is a picture of the tail gate for this body. I have more if this is the body you have.
Attachments
xTail Gate 2.jpg
xTail Gate 2.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 14943 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

That Anthony looks like an easy one to have made.
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Neil Wilson,

Thanks for the reply. Could you possible take some pictures of your PTO?

I do not know the manufacture of the dump body. I work away from home during the week, but I'll try and take some pictures this weekend. The body is smooth sided without ribs. Looks correct for the time period but I can only guess. No numbers, names or marks that I can find that would identify the manufacture. It is possibly a local shop produced body and not a big name.

Truck Man
TruckMan
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Truck Man,
I will try to take some pictures this week.

A friend saw a TT Warford at Chickasha, OK swap meet a few days ago. He says the PTO on the Warford is the four bolt type and will work for the dual high.

Attached is the vendor's business card. He is a regular at the meet.
Attachments
xChickasha - Ron Paetz - Model T & A Parts.jpg
xChickasha - Ron Paetz - Model T & A Parts.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 14818 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

I tried the e-mail on the card. Says he doesn't think he's ever seen a four bolt (?)

Any luck on those pictures of a 4-bolt PTO? I have yet to see one myself, but have two 6-bolt PTO's.
TruckMan
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Truckman and others:

I've got an extra '30/'31 AA tranny with a PTO bolted to it. It's a 6-bolt. I've got another PTO stashed away somewhere, but I can't get to it. I seem to recall that it's a 6-bolt too. I don't know the make of either of them. Is it possible that a 4-bolt is for a '28/'29 AA or a TT?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Both my 1930 four speed and my Warfors have six polt plates over the PTO location. But this Ford list of assceeories shows what appears to be a three hole?
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

First, thanks for all the responses.

The PTO that everyone is talking about is for the Four Speed Transmission. Recall that Ford did not put a 4-Speed in the 28-29 AA trucks. They had the three speed, and as an option, the two speed auxillary. That two speed auxiliary transmission has a four bolt cover plate facing down. That is for the PTO. It is not the same as the ones mentioned or the catalog picture. I have two of those already and they are no good for my application.

So...if anyone has a 1928 or 1929 AA with an auxillary two speed and a PTO, please take a picture of it and send it to me.
Attachments
aa-tra~1.jpg
aa-tra~1.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 14619 times
TruckMan
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

Send me your email address and I will send you a photo tomorrow , My photos are to large to post on this site but will go to a email address Bud Valerius , Manhattan Ks
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

bud valerius wrote:Send me your email address and I will send you a photo tomorrow , My photos are to large to post on this site but will go to a email address Bud Valerius , Manhattan Ks

Bud,
If you upload your photos to www.photobucket.com then post the link here they will appear properly
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

I tryed the photo bucket but I can't connect the link my email is (economyelectric@hotmail.com)send me a request for the photos and I will forward them to you Bud Valerius . I have sent them to Neil Wilson
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Thanks to Bud, I now have pictures. The TT guy from the business card says he never saw one. So I am back to asking if anyone can send me in the right direction.

By the way, I have enjoyed this forum. A club just for AA's! Never thought I'd see that. Thanks guys!
TruckMan
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

bud valerius wrote:I tryed the photo bucket but I can't connect the link my email is (economyelectric@hotmail.com)send me a request for the photos and I will forward them to you Bud Valerius . I have sent them to Neil Wilson

Try typing it out.
www.photobucket.com
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

I put an ad on Fordbarn for the 4-bolt PTO. Some man from London, England says he has one, $205 ups next day. I hope this is for real. He wanted western union but I replied "Visa" so I would have some recourse if I never received. I've been looking on and off for several years to find one, so I'm tempted to buy it.

I bought my first pick up truck, a '61 Chevy, for $220 at an auction and drove it home. Prices do change.
TruckMan