aa to pickup

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1930

aa to pickup

Post by smilebigtt »

How easy it an aa to be turned into a pickup?
Drew Mashburn

Re: aa to pickup

Post by Drew Mashburn »

smilebigtt:

Why try to change an AA into a pickup? Basically, the AA Express body was a heavy-duty pickup. Why not just acquire one of them?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

anyone with a photo of a 30-31 with express body? also does anyone have several types of bodies that they keep around to use as accessories to the the AA rolling stock depending on the need.
For instance dump body one day for hauling dirt etc , platform body another for cargo , you get the idea, i was thinking it would be great to obtain an express bed as a different look and purpose for my own truck.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

Post by Boomer »

Smilebigtt,
I don't know what year your truck is but if you've ever seen the Walton's tv show from the 70's they had a nice '29 AA Express.
For one that is a little rougher, Rufus Ranch has a '29 AA Express for sale on their site at:
http://www.rufusranch.150m.com/
They are located in Brainerd, Minnesota.
I hope you keep us updated on what you do with your truck Smilebigtt.
Happy Memorial Day and thanks to all of you who have served our great country,
Drew
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Drew here is why I asked the question. When I bought the truck I had a special use for it. As I tore the truck down (outside) and brought the parts into the garage, it did not look very big. Now that I have the chassis on wheels, I'm beginning to realize how much room this truck is going to take up with a flat bed which I have to have for my original idea. I don't like parking my toys outside.
Prior to beginning on the body (today) I found myself with deciding to continue with this project knowing I will not be able to put it in the garage, keep the truck but make it a pickup which will go into the garage, or trading the truck for a different vehicle. Trade for a T or an A car of equile value. As of today I have decided to begin work on the body, but before spending a great deal of money on the body, I have to decide what I'm going to do.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

What do you mean by "make it a pickup"? A pickup is a Model A and requires a Model A chassis and pickup body. Your could only use the cab, fenders and hood from your AA.

What do you meam by "body"? Are you refering to the cab or the cargo body?

If you are thinking about making you AA into an express truck, then that is a different situation since you could use the AA chassis. The express body is about 7' long.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by smilebigtt »

Then maybe it is an express I'm thinking of. I just remember there was a cool looking aa on ebay that looked like it was converted into a pick up. I mean a pick up in the way of the pickup body with a pickup type bed.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

smilebigtt:

I suppose somebody could have made a pickup-looking bed and placed it on an AA, but, I'll bet that the one you saw on Ebay was an "Express" body AA. It looks somewhat like an A pickup, but more heavy-duty. They're an awesome body style. I'd love to have one! If you get any leads on one (or more), and, if you're not interested, let me know.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

will do drew
rdhagen
Body Type: AA Express

Post by rdhagen »

Just a reply to the Express Box at Rufus Ranch. NOTE: It is 100% a TT Express Box NOT an AA express box. I have seen all the pictures of it and it is definatly a TT Box. The TT box will not fit properly on the AA tapered frame.
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by Roy Williams »

Smile, If you need specific measurements of the beds let me know and I will try to provide them. On page 7 of this forum; Neil and others helped me identify my trucks when I got them and that may be helpfull as well.

Roy

smilebigtt

Post by smilebigtt »

Model T haven has a pretty good looking 1930 PU. It has a decent bed (maybe for an express) body looks pretty good.