Need PTO for 1928 AA with 3-speed/2-speed set up

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Need PTO for 1928 AA with 3-speed/2-speed set up

Post by Chris Haynes »

Ask Bernie Long if he has one. He parted out more AA's than most of us have seen. 909 877 2926
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

vtwinsideways,

I have an extra 4-speed transmission and the PTO that goes with it. Maybe we can work a trade?

TruckMan
TruckMan
Brian T
Model Year: 1929

Post by Brian T »

I met Bernie once at a swap meet, and told him I was looking for a spare tire carrier for my 29, he said he was sure he had one, we were there a few months ago, looked high and low for almost an hour, my son found the carrier in between a stack of tires and a old truck.

Bernie has so much stuff in those yards it would be hard to believe he wouldn’t have what you wanted, he doesn’t have anybody to go picking so you are very much on your own , you might need a weed whacker, long pants , boots and step lightly.

He has several Double As that he wants to sell complete, there as to be something there for anyone looking for old car parts, even heavy truck stuff.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

A small sample of Bernie's yard.
Bill James

Post by Bill James »

OK, dumb nubie ?? where is Bernies yard? I could see me, with a good set of snake guards, spending a long week end just wondering through there :D
Brian T

Post by Brian T »

Bernie Long, 18929 Slover Ave. Bloomington. Ca, 92316.
berNIE LONG 18929 SLOVER AVE BLOOMINGTON CA.gif
berNIE LONG 18929 SLOVER AVE BLOOMINGTON CA.gif (80.38 KiB) Viewed 9090 times
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Take a flash light as it is dark in his barns and inside truck boxes that are full of parts. You will actually find parts stickin up out of the sandy soil. Watch out for spiders and snakes. Take lotsa water cause it gets hot. Bernie has been building cars out of the parts in his yard for years. He is close to pushing eighty now.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

I know at 35 I'm A little old, but do you think Bernie would adopt me? :D

Truck Man: We bought a '30 parts truck a month ago and haven't got it home yet to see what we can use off of it. It has a four speed with pto and a hydraulic dump set-up. Dad's '29 is already set up with a three speed, a Ford dual-high and it has been adapted to a '30-'31 736 bevel rear with 5 hole Buds. We're hoping to get at least 2 good Buds off of the parts truck and the front axle so we can match everything up. The flywheel housing on the 4spd is busted and we're not sure about the trans and the pump, so until we know, I can't say for sure which direction we will go. We were going to get it last week, but a good rain at the location turned everything into a sloppy mess, so we will try again next week. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Truckman, where are you located?
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
Bill James

Post by Bill James »

WOW! I have a Grandson who lives just down I-15 in Murrieta. I may havta make a special trip back just to see my new Great Grandson! That's just over the hill from VA, right? :wink:
Erskine48
Body Type: 82a/3axle

Post by Erskine48 »

For anyone who wants to visit Bernie, call first and don't be in a hurry, he likes to get to know you before he lets you into his treasures. I have seen complete surprise from people when I tell them I've bought things from him! Yes there are lots of off the wall parts there, he sold me a complete suspension for my F&F extension and a Warford. Bob E.
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Bernie is indeed a nice gentleman but says he's never seen a 4-bolt PTO. I would absolutely love to dig through his yard, but I live in Wisconsin and don't have the play money to fly or drive to California.

Still looking.

If anyone recalls, I was having some smoke and performance issues with the old truck and was worried that I had a bad valve or ring. Pulled the head and there was about a 3" space between cylinder 1 and 2 where the gasket used to be. That will slow it down! I also rebuilt the carbuerator and gave it a new condensor, rotor and distr. body and set the points. Sounds better than it has in years. No smoke. Plan to take it to the Wisconsin Steam Engine Show this weekend. My late father used to display his rebuilt antique tractors there. I had the truck there once while he was living but not since. I hope to make the trip without the usual boil over now that I'm tuned up.

Now if I could only raise up the dump box.....
TruckMan
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

The truck ran wonderfully over the weekend!

Well gentlemen, I have contacted about everyone I can across the country over the last five years. I cannot find a 4-bolt PTO.

I am considering what I have been told to do over and over. That is to put a four speed in. I have one, and two 6-bolt PTO's. I need to measure and see that I can still have the two-speed. I may concede giving up my authentic three speed for a 1930 four speed, but I am not willing to give up the two speed. I have heard that may people back in the day switched the three speed for a four speed transmission when it became available, but I don't know if they were able to keep the two speed. Should a miracle happen and I find a four bolt some day, I can always switch it back. But in the mean time I want to power my dump box and I've waited too many years already. Now that I've made up my mind I plan to tear into it this weekend.

Comments?
TruckMan
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Upon inspection I see that the four speed does not match up with the two speed. I do not want to remove the two speed so I am back to where I started. I put an ad in Hemmings and I'll just keep looking.
TruckMan
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Truckman,
You could put the 4-speed in to the "A" so I don't know why it would not work for you.
You need the 4-speed bell housing, special u-joint A-7090-C, and trans rear bearing retainer A-7085-E.
I think there was somebody on Ford Barn a year or more ago that had everything for the conversion
that he was willing to sell, can't remember who it was.

Bob