Paint colors and model a restoration books

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
jjbus2000
Model Year: 1930

Paint colors and model a restoration books

Post by jjbus2000 »

Can anyone suggest the best book or books to buy that will tell me exactly how model aa trucks looked when leaving the factory? I want to make my truck as original as possible and there are lots of books out there but I want to find out the best one to get. Also, my truck was originally green and I am trying to find out the official name of the color and if the green body with black fenders was original. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Drew Mashburn

Re: Paint colors and model a restoration books

Post by Drew Mashburn »

jjbus2000:

More than likely, your truck was Rock Moss Green. Yes, the chassis, fenders, running boards, running board splash aprons, radiatior splash apron and the radiator shell would have all been painted black. Rock Moss Green with the black was a very common color scheme for the AA's.

There are a lot of books out there concerning the authenticity of AA's as far as how they came from the factory and as to how they should be restored. I'm certain others will tell you what's available, but I recommend you get that MAFCA Judging Standards.

Do you have any photos of your truck that you might post for us? Everybody that follows this loves photos!

Best,
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

What truck do you have, in an earlier post you said 1928 closed cab pick-up this
post AA.

Bob
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Brewster Green was an often used color for commercial vehicles, especially pick-ups
jjbus2000

Post by jjbus2000 »

Thank you for the info. All I have is a cab and a box. I thought that my cab might be from an AA truck as my side mirror is mounted up at the sun visor. But after a bit of investigating I found out that '28 and early '29 A and AA trucks had the mirror at that point. I am building it as an A but I want the same colors and look of an AA truck. I am new at restoring vehicles and this is my first, so I do appreciate the help I get from you guys. I will try to post pictures ASAP.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The color is most likely Rock Moss Green. the books you should get are the Service Bulletins, Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, model A
Ford Mechanics Handbook, Model A ford Paint and Finish Guide, and a parts book.

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

jjbus2000,

The Double A'er for 2014 is being prepared for mailing currently. It has a five page article titled "AA Paint Color Schemes & Striping". This article's information has also been sent to the Judging Standards Committee as proposed changes to supplement E (Heavy Commercial Vehicles). For 1928 AA's there are two paint schemes listed (cab and cargo body):

Commercial Gray - thru August 1928 M682 pyroxylin (lacquer) and M696 satin enamel; commercial gray would have been a dark green
Gun Metal Blue - starting August 1928 M680 pyroxylin (lacquer) and M690 satin enamel

It is my belief that the A commercial vehicles used the same color schemes. But, the above is only presented for the AA's.

And yes, black would be original for fenders, shields (aprons), boards, radiator shell, and hood shelves.

You are welcome to join the Ford Model AA Truck Club and start receiving the Double A'er. http://fmaatc.aafords.com/membership/ has a membership form.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bob C »

Neil, are you saying Rock Moss Green was not offered in 1928?

Bob
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Rockmoss Green was announced as a NEW color for commercial Fords in the January 1929 Service Bulletins.
Hayslip
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Thanks Hayslip.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

[quote="Hayslip"]Rockmoss Green was announced as a NEW color for commercial Fords in the January 1929 Service Bulletins.[/quote]

And, the August 16, 1928 Indianapolis Service Letters identifies the commercial paint color change as per the attached.

FYI - Ed, pointed out the fact that Rockmoss Green was not a 1928 commercial color several years ago. I hope the JSC will be willing to accept a change to information which has been in effect for many years.
Attachments
Service Letter 28-08-16 page 1.jpg
Service Letter 28-08-16 page 1.jpg (406.06 KiB) Viewed 8038 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

My guess is that this fordbarn commercial A ocpu is the Gun Metal Blue color (basically a green).

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136407
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by jjbus2000 »

Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn. I'm currently looking for all the books posted here. Thank you again.